How to prepare mentally for a formal diagnosis that's likely to be bad?

• 13 replies
  • 26 subscribers

After a couple of weeks of xrays, ct scans, a lung flow test, a meeting with a Respiratory Consultant  (in which he said it was inoperable and spread to my bones) a bone biopsy and 5 sessions of radiotherapy, I finally have a date next week to meet with an Oncologist.

I presume its to tell me what type of LC I have and whether they think its treatable. Or not.

I know everybody says to remain positive and I try my hardest to be positive as I think it's important,  but I also think I need to be a bit realistic as well.

I think the fact that it's inoperable, it's spread to my bones AND I have a lot of pain, could mean that the prognosis isn't great and even though in my head imagine them saying 2- 5 years with treatment, my heart is telling me to be prepared for bad news.

The realist in me is to be prepared for another major shock of them saying  'months'

I reacted badly when I had my appointment  with the RC when he told me "it's not good news". 

I'm  usually a calm, composed person, but I  started crying and didn't stop blubbing for two days. My partner says I was even crying in my sleep!

I'm worried at how l will  cope with further bad news. I'm also worried my partner will take it badly. I insisted on going in on my own the first time. but he wants to come in with me this time.

How can I mentally prepare myself ? And him? (Big ask)

Amd sorry to post such a depressing topic on such a lovely sunny day. Xxx

• Hi @Harebelle,

Chemo is to shrink any tumours, and so I guess if pain is caused by tumours pressing on nerves or organs, then it may help. However, that is not its primary aim, whch is to slow down the cancer and give you longer to live. Pain may need to be addressed separately and you should raise the issue with your oncologist/ team. I know there isalways too much to hear and understand at the first meeting. Did you let your partner go with you this time  another pair of ears can be good as they often pick up on thngs you dont hear.. Really hope the treatment plan does what it is intended to do.

• Congratulations  Kiwi gal xx

• Hi I was on morphine and by cycle 3 of chemo my pain was considerably lessened due to the reduction of the tumours. My bowel wasn't being pushed out of position (previously caused excruciating pain) and the tumour between my liver and ribs reduced. It used to feel uncomfortable to take in a deep breath. So personally for me chemo was a good thing. At the end of the treatments I was no longer on morphine. No doubt in a few months as the tumours regrow or new ones start I'll be in pain again.

At my last Oncologist meeting I'm sure he mentioned something in a lung but I may have misheard. I'm waiting for my copy letter to arrive. Before I had lesions on liver and spleen and masses elsewhere but I so pleased to hear how successful the chemo had been for me it went a bit over my head. I was annoyed with myself, I normally record our conversations. (with his permission) but forgot this time.

So chemo kills the cancer cells, but also can kill healthy cells. If the tumours are causing pressure on other organs pain will ease.

Sending hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett