What is the likely Treatment Plan for inoperable metastasised cancer?

• 30 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi there 

I'm about to get the results of my bone biopsy soon.  I expect they'll then be able to stage it.

I'm assuming there will then be a Treatment Plan put in place. If I'm lucky. 

Facts I know so far:-

1.There's a mass in my lung. (primary)

2.t's inoperable.

3. It's spread to the bones of my shoulders and arms (explains extreme pain)

So my question is,

How do they decide who to treat and  try lots of different things in order  to keep the person  going as long for as  as possible, maybe even 5 years or more, 

Or on the other hand, what would make them say:

Ever so sorry Harebelle, here's the number for your hospice nurse and a bottle of oramorph for the pain. And send me on my way.

When they're looking at my case, will they take into account factors such as,

I'm old, but not that old 

Um fairly  fit , active and mobile.

I don't smoke

I have no wheezing or shortness of breath

My lung function test was fairly good, considering.

I'm not underweight

I'm not overweight.

Appetite is good. 

Basically they're playing God with us! It's a frightening thought!

In your experience what makes them go all out with some patients and not bother so much with others?

Thanks.  X

• My understanding is the treatment is different for each primary cancer type.  Also that the best approach for each cancer type is not the same  because everybody's body is different, some may not be able to cope with the more aggressive treatments. 

• As  Mmum said, they won't put you on something that your body can't withstand. They have to make a judgement as to whether they might shorten your life by so doing, if you are judged too weak. This happened to me post-surgery and I was sent home and palliative care arranged. Looking back I know the oncologist were right at the time, though it felt a bit like I was written off. However, my surgeon wouldn't accept this and he gave me a lot of hope. In the end, I didn't pop off and got stronger instead, to the point that I certainly could take treatment now.

We are all so different, but if there is one thing that my experiences have taught me, it is to keep strong and not to give up on your body. Look after it so it can withstand what may be in the pipeline. And make yourself an informed patient. Know your options and get all your test results.  Ask lots of questions. Be in charge of your treatment and get to understand it all. All the best. Rainie x

• The thing to remember with lung cancer is, there are so many treatments now available and people are living much longer with it than ever before. Your oncologist will want the very best treatment option available for you, and they work very hard behind the scenes to work out which treatment plan is best. 

Hopefully you won’t have to wait much longer until you find out which treatment is being offered to you, but I know how hard the wait is xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for the responses.  I know I need to be patient, but  patience isn't one of my strong points.  xx

• The wait is hard...we all know. But see, today there are so many treatment options, depends of type ..i got lung cancer with mets in lymph nodes and had it in brain...uncurable...since 2015!!!!! so don't give up hope. 

• That's amazing, Pet.

I'm also wondering, does a person stand more of a chance of lasting longer if they go private?

Or does it not make much difference. 

My partner is all for going private, but I'm not so sure.

• There are so many treatments out there new and old and lots of trials.You team will decide what they think is best for you . As for going private most of the NHS oncologists have private patients. X

• OK so I'm still waiting.

My story so far.

Had bone biopsy over a week ago but no results yet.

Tomorrow is my last day of radiotherapy (had 5 sessions for pain) but nobody has contacted me to say what the next steps are.

I've tried leaving messages with the lung cancer nurses biut they don't get back to me.

I feel as if I had lots of attention the first week or so and now it's all gone strangely quiet.Does this mean they're not going to treat .me at all?They think I'm a lost cause?

Maybe there is no treatment plan for me and that's why they haven't contacted me.

What are others experiences and/or thoughts,

Be brutally honest.

• It is very upsetting when we have to wait for a response after the big rush of the last few weeks. Have you an appointment for a scan, that will probably be the next step after the treatment. Then your team have  meetings to decide the next step. Then they let you no what is happening next. Try to stay busy, and take this as a breather  after the radiation. Thinking of you and sending hugs XXX 

• It all takes longer than you think or hope for, so I wouldn't expect results yet. Try to stay calm. The waiting is rotten but it's par for the course. I'm sure they don't think you're a lost cause, so don't you go thinking you are. Deep breath, try to stay focussed on something else, go for a walk if you can and get out. It's not you, it's just what happens to most people. Hugs.  Rainie x