Morphine tablets and steroids

• 12 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi,

I have incurable, untreatable ovarian cancer, so I am only receiving palliative care. Because I have been getting more pain recently, my cancer nurse has suggested that I take slow release morphine tablets twice a day instead of the codeine which I take at the moment. Does anyone know if there are any downsides to these tablets. I worry that they'll make me constantly sleepy as I take liquid morphine at night precisely because it helps me sleep.

The nurse has also suggested steroids to help with my energy levels. My only experience of steroids is from the doses I was given with my chemotherapy. I did always have an amazing amount of energy the next day but I also slept very badly for two nights. What are other people's experiences with steroids.

Thanks,

Sarah 

• I used to take slow release morphine tablets and the only side effect I got was constipation so I needed laxatives to deal with that. When I was on steroids I found it best to take them first thing in the morning so the effects wore off by bedtime otherwise I couldn’t sleep. However once they put me on 16mg instead of 8mg sleep became difficult.  Fortunately a couple of operations fixed the pain for me so I’m off the morphine and steroids now. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Thanks Richard. I already have constipation from codeine and my cancer nurse doesn't seem to think that morphine tablets will be worse than codeine. I will think about the steroids and maybe try a low dose if my tiredness doesn't improve soon.

Sarah

• Codeine does the same to me, I found a laxative called bisacodyl worked well for me it’s a sort of laxative the improves the motility of your stomach so I took that and senna to keep things soft. I was on dexomethasate and 8mg first thing was good for energy and didn’t impact sleep

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi Sarah, i was on steroids for a while, made me eat all day and i had energy like crazy, but i couldn't sleep and was getting very angry!!

• Hi Sarah,

I have pain in my shoulder and leg due to bone mets. To ease the pain I have been given slow release morphine tablets which help enormously. I wouldn’t be without them. I was in agony before. My cancer nurse has also suggested steroids for extra energy but both my go and consultant have said I don’t need them yet.

id take the offer of slow release morphine if I were you.

regards

Rose xxx

• I take Laxido, which the oncologist prescribed for me. It seems to do the job without any unpleasant side effects. I will ask my nurse about steroid doses and maybe try a low dose.

• Hi Pet1968, thanks for replying. I do worry about not being able to sleep with steroids, but may try a low dose if my energy levels don't improve. I definitely don't want to be angry all the time - I moved out of London to get away from that feeling!

• Hi Rose,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not often in agony but the pain is becoming more persistent and is starting to impact on my ability to enjoy life, so I think  I will try the morphine tablets.

Best wishes to you,

Sarah

• Hi Sarah,

I was offered morphine, but didn't want to take it yet, for the reason you gave. Right now I take tylenol, gabapentin (for any irritation of the nerves caused by the cancer), slow release tramadol, and regular tramadol for breakthrough pain as needed. Maybe an occasional ibuprofen, but I'm not supposed to, because of reduced kidney function related to chemo.

One thing: when I first started the slow release tramadol last weekend I felt "high" and tired. I told my doc I didn't like it because I wanted to be awake and able to drive. She told me that the effect should wear off, as my body got used to it. And it is indeed better, I don't feel "high" now when I'm on it, nor so tired. I am glad of that, and am hoping maybe when it's time for morphine that some of its side effects will also wear off. So hopefully it will work that way for you too?

Patricia

• Hi Patricia,

thanks for replying. I decided to give the slow release morphine tablets a try. My palliative care nurse told me yesterday that the dose is quite low at the moment, and I'm not experiencing any problems with sleepiness during the day. The low-dose steroids that I also just started may be cancelling out any drowsiness from the morphine! Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better since I started these two medications, so I'm glad I made the change. Luckily I don't drive, so I don't have to worry about that!

Sarah