Am I coming to the end of my journey.

• 25 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Having been diagnosed with terminal Ovarian cancer and gone through a failed operation (open and close) then chemo which made me feel too ill so I stopped as my low grade cancer does not respond to chemo very well I am surprised to still be plodding along.I do not want an end date but I am now nearly three years on definitely slowing down.I am swollen especially my ankles and very week plus constantly tired.How is it for others like me I wonder I have always had a positive outlook during this journey and celebrated every passing Christmas (initially I thought I only had one)so I feel blessed to still be here but do wonder how other people feel on their journeys and what they do to keep the momentum.Any comments no matter good or bad would be appreciated.

• Welcome  

Slowing down is inevitable but it doesn’t necessarily mean this is the start of the end. I always liken my journey to a train journey. I have (I hope) avoided catching the express train, but I am not sure how long this particular slow train takes, although I rather hope it gets stuck in the sidings for a long time. It’s just about doing what you can on any given day and making sure you do some things that you enjoy. Sitting in the garden and going for a short walks round the harbour on a lovely day like today has helped me, even though I generally feel as if I am wading through treacle. I remain hopeful for better days. 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you are feeling that you are slowing down. Do you have anyone that looks in on you from time to time? It may be worth asking for a GP assessment to see if there's anything they can help you with. 

I have definitely slowed down, I feel, in both mind and body. I think of myself as another person, pre cancer. I don't know how I used to do everything I did, but then again, I didn't feel like this then. I sometimes think my life is like that of a very elderly person and I'm 54. The only thing that keeps me going and keeps me sane, is getting out for a walk. I also like my garden and nature.

A x

• Hi Codfish thanks for the reply and what a good description of your journey.I always think of it as falling in a ditch of sticky mud and dragging myself out of that ditch,slipping and sliding until finally dragging myself out of the mud.I have lost a few wellies on the wayLOL.You are right that being in nature walking or just sitting watching makes a difference and as long as I can walk (avoiding ditches) then I count myself Lucky.Thank you.

• Thank you Sistermoon.Yes I have the most wonderful Husband who looks after me and I would be lost with out him.I do feel frustrated that I can no longer do all the things I used to especially our Hollidays abroad and long walks along the canals and on the beach but I count myself Lucky that we both retired at 60 so we did lots of things we are now 72 so lots of happy memories.You never know what is round the corner do you.

• Hi Ellie Hank you for the reply and I agree a pain free death is all we want.