Pensions

• 57 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi all,

Just finished a long 4 month battle with my pension providers to cash out my plans due to having incurable/terminal cancer.

Still got mortgage and bills to pay and don't qualify for any benefits so need the money to live a bit whilst still here.

You would think as it's a standard procedure it would be easy but it's been a nightmare I have several pots of pensions ( moved around a lot) but most provided by two of the big providers.

I had 4 plans with one provider and they all wanted individual forms filled out and completed by the hospital my oncologist was geat but they they wanted verbal proof x4 the Dr had completed it and getting hold of a busy Dr in hospital not easy.

Just wanted to put that out there anyone had good bad experiences of it?

Disclaimer Standard Life  amazing one phone call one page filled in by GP and money in bank within 2 weeks .

Have a good day out there ( going for a suntan as cold to the bone here )

• Hi

I investigated early retirement (before 55) after diagnosis, on a lifestyle choice justification.  I found they couldn't accommodate it.  If you want early retirement then you have to be "unable to work" and someone medical has to sign off on that point.  I clearly was able to work.  I wasn't impressed with the admin - it was like talking to a brick wall.  You ask a question, they reply parrot fashion with a set answer, not necessarily fully answering the question.  Eg I was asking about the process to determine if it was an option for me, they sent me a pack saying "sorry to hear you are stopping work on ill health, please fill in these forms".    I have lots of plans too, 4-5.  Nothing wrong with moving around!  

My end result was I decided to suck-it-and-see with the treatment and I had the summer off on sick leave.  The time off with everyone under my feet in the house, no me-time, was a key factor in returning to work part time.  

I'm 55 now so I won't have that problem again.  

• Hope everything is ok Eddiel! And that you can go home today. Shiela will give you lots of TLC, I'm sure.

Candysmum

• Go to your nearest Maggie's centre and explain to them and they will deal with it for free and professionally

Lee

• Hi Mmum I was "lucky" that because of lifelong health issues no one thought i would make it to retirement, so I never bothered with a pension, opting for investments and savings, so i retired age 54, long before cancer, on my own terms, PS still no hope of seeing my OAP, best wishes.

Eddie

• Hi  

I retired at 54 on ill health from the NHS. HR were very good and advised me throughout. My job was too stressful to return to and it made no financial sense for me to return part time to a less stressful position. I am also not in a position of being able to work after treatment. My prognosis is not good and I have limited lines of treatment. 

I have since cashed in 2 small personal pension pots with separate companies. It was easy to do, a phone call and medical confirmation from the GP, for which there was no fee, then all the forms scanned and sent electronically. I wanted to cash these in myself while I am still here so that there is less for my husband to see to after I die.

I'm sorry that you've had the runaround  . Verbal proof must be a nightmare to get hold of, plus there is no evidence. Hope the money makes life a bit easier for you.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi Candysmum, thank you I'm ok, just need to see i have no toilet issues then home, Sheila's taking me home as I'm a little sore and It's hard to sit still, "special" diet for a couple of weeks but hopefully can carry on as normal soon, take care.

Eddie xx

• Morning Lee looks like a lovely day, have you any plans or just going to take things easy and take Ringo out a few times, 

Eddie

• Morning Eddie, I'll take Ringo a few times then a shop which I don't really like but needs must then clinic Monday, have you plans Eddie 

Lee

• Hi Lee i'm in hospital though should be home soon, and have to rest for a few days so Poppy will be going out with friends.

Eddie

• Well at least you'll both be looked after that's the main thing 

Lee