Awful experience

• 15 replies
  • 51 subscribers

So this morning I went for my scan and I get the canula with the contrast dye in.  Getting the canula in was painful enough but then the dye went in the tissue of my arm. I told the man it was hurting oh you only got 30 seconds he said .Well in them 30 seconds the pain was unreal it felt like electric shocks around the canula.  They took it out and had to sit and massarge my arm .its really swollen . Oh we got enough dye In vein they said to do scan otherwise you would need new canula in. Not a chance would I have let them do it again . I got of the bed I felt sick and dizzy.  

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read of your experience this morning. Something similar happened to me once. I was always a bit nervous going back there because of it. The radiographer explained it away as my arm not being straight. He had had a work vehicle stolen that day and seemed distracted. My arm wasn't swollen but the pain had been as you describe. It's not happened again but it's made me wary.

I hope you're taking it easy to recover. Best wishes for your results Bev.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• I'm always wary of people putting canula in. It's awful to have done without anything going wrong. He new it was hurting me before I went in scan machine and did nothing. Its still bit swollen but doesn't hurt xx

• That's awful Bev, lack of care and attention. Could be worth putting a complaint form in, even if it's only so that no one else gets the same treatment. I remember the pain, was awful.

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi girl's, unfortunately that happened to me a few weeks ago, yes it's very painful, I told the nurse who had gone right thru the vain, there was no way she was trying again, go away and get a proper nurse or I'm walking and will put a complaint in, an other nurse came and did a good job, scan done.

So I can understand the issues you have.

• @Bev2022 that is something that needs a complaint putting in to the Radiography Manager without a doubt, because unless something is said they will likely do it to someone else and you deserve an apology

• I did say to her thr girls in scan room can canulate easy she said Give me a chance so I did. And she didn't put canula were your arm bends if you no what I mean.it was more to the side I said I've never had canula there ever.  Even that was painful . I wudnt even no who to complain to.x

• Find out if the hospital has a friend's of the hospital group, they will tell you, which hospital was it, send a pm if you don't want the group to know.

• This happened to me at the end of November 2023, but "only" at the end of the contrast delivery and not as painful as yours.  I blogged the "experience" -> CT Scan Extravasation .  My takeaway was that nothing is without risk.   It was so hot afterwards.  Took about a week to subside. 

•   you would complain to the manager of the Radiography Department first. It doesn't matter if you don't know any names just tell them time and date of your appointment with your name and date of birth and they should be able to find the person responsible through that information. If you feel you are just dismissed at this point then take it to the Patient Liaison department I believe all hospitals have one and explain the situation to them or you could even go to this department first and they will contact the relevant manager

• Hi Bev so sorry you had so much pain. Something similar happened last week. Had to go for tests last week. Bloods I told them I has a port but they didn't want to use it they obviously  couldn't get any blood 3 tried. Then they said they'd use the port reluctantly.  This staff nurse tried to use every excuse in the book . It's a wobbly one, it's bruise are you sure it works, I ulldbher to get out and find sombody who knows what there  doing. Half hour later they hot sombody who boulc use it. Saw are and hand  and other arm. I told the department sister to get it sorted, was discussed.  XX 

MOI