Awful experience

• 15 replies
  • 49 subscribers

So this morning I went for my scan and I get the canula with the contrast dye in.  Getting the canula in was painful enough but then the dye went in the tissue of my arm. I told the man it was hurting oh you only got 30 seconds he said .Well in them 30 seconds the pain was unreal it felt like electric shocks around the canula.  They took it out and had to sit and massarge my arm .its really swollen . Oh we got enough dye In vein they said to do scan otherwise you would need new canula in. Not a chance would I have let them do it again . I got of the bed I felt sick and dizzy.  

• Hi Bev

I've had 2 incidents regarding cannulas. The first time, it was an emergency scan, with contrast, because I had chest pain. I'd had 2 scans with contrast previously, so I knew it would be ok. But it wasn't! It was stinging as the dye went in, and really bad pain when it got to my bladder area, instead of the warm fuzzy feeling I'd had previously. The cannula itself didn't hurt, but the next day I was totally covered with a red rash all over my body! Took a month to go, and my cancer treatment was postponed.

This has meant I can no longer have the contrast dyes when I have scans to monitor my cancer, which is less than satisfactory. I kept insisting that something had 'gone wrong', either too much dye, or being administered too quickly. I was told you can develop an allergic reaction at any time! An easy way to 'pass the buck'. Recently, a new radiographer in the department questioned why I couldn't have the contrast, and when i described what had happened, said that it HAD been administered incorrectly.

The second incident was strange. I had a cannula put in my hand near my thumb, in the cancer treatment clinic. All went well, no problems. No sign of extravasation. BUT the next day I simply could not use my hand properly! Couldn't stretch my thumb, hold anything. Really painful along the tendon.  At first, the treatment clinic followed the protocols for extravasation, but once my support nurse decided to take over, she 'photographed' it using an Ipad, and sent it to my oncologist at a distant hospital. I never heard anything else. For 6 months, I could not use my hand properly, and it continued to be painful. I still don't know if it was extravasation or not.

My feeling is that these things do happen, but what bugs me is the lack of follow-up/concern. I was actually told, by a doctor, 'You have cancer. What do you expect?' Actually, I expect to be followed up if there's a problem!

Sorry for the rant! I hope you've fully recovered now.

Hugs

Candysmum

• I hope I can remember what she looks like as next scan I will refuse to let her do it 

• Was Hartlepool hospital 

• PALS

Holdforth Rd, Hartlepool, TS24 9AH

They will help you with your complaint.

• Hi Bev,

I've just seen this, I'm so sorry you had this awful experience. I've had a few myself especially with cannulas but just make sure the next time, as there will be, if you are getting dye let them know beforehand about this and don't allow that same person anywhere near you! Normally if you say there's been a previous problem, they make sure the person doing it is experienced!

Have a good Weekend, regardless of appointments! Or as you said I think, have Easter next weekend!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!