The Book Club Thread

• 72 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi all been chasing about books today and Shadders suggested starting a book club. So here we go.

1. We take turn a piece of picking a book.

2. We each read the story, by book, kindle , audio.

3. We give our opinions .

4. Shadders should pick the first book.

Anyone interested ?

Moi

• I'd love to.  I've read Lessons in Chemistry and loved it. It made me angry, sad, glad and laugh too. Great book. 

• Are we allowed to discuss Lessons in Chemistry yet! I loved it though yes Salis had to suspend disbelief at a lot but that made me like it even more. Cooking through chemistry would definitely put me off watching it! But I think it made an interesting point that women were treated as decorations to cook and keep house and not meant to have a brain. I was a little bit irritated by her superwoman persona. Not only was she extremely intelligent, she could row, cook, and look beautiful! Would have been more interesting to make her more human but then would it unbalance the narrative I wonder? Anyway I loved it and it made me laugh and cry. I’ve just finished Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason, which I took on holiday. Absolutely wonderful read. Again I laughed out loud and cried too. Much more realistic and visceral. Would definitely recommend. I’m now reading Common Ground by Naomi Ishiguro. I’m enjoying it but it’s a little bit clumsy in its character portrayal. It’s still early days so I’ll reserve my judgement for a bit. I don’t know the Seven Sisters series I’m afraid but I do like Philippa Gregory if they are anything like her novels. 

• Yes Lessons in Chemistry,  definitely had me go through a range of emotions as you've all said it just seemed as woman in 30s 40s 50s were to look good do as there told and used for sex, if you didn't get married you were a failure. Cook clean have babies and don't use your brain. But it was also laugh out loud st times. I'd give it 8 out of 10.

I have read 6 books since then.

The Bullet that Missed BY Richard Osmond and I am about to start book 6 of the 7 Sisters series  by Lucinder Riley. I know Judy is into these books.

Please suggest books to read . Enjoy xx

Moi

• I'm not a great reader but if a book "gets me" (un-put-downable) then I can do all-right reading sessions.  Anyway, I bought "The Perfect Wife" by JP Delaney for my husband's birthday a couple of years back because the title and the occasion just cracked me up!  On such a wave of success with "Lessons in Chemistry" and contemplating "what shall I read next" I decided to pick this one up because husband was never going to read it.  Read chapter one, but bookmark missing so next challenge is to find where I got to and onwards we go lol  

• So we have a big choice eg.

Sorrow and Bluss by Meg Meg Mason

The perfect Wife by JP Delaney.

I'll order these 2 and read after my Seven Sisters  Books. xx

Moi

• I've just finished The Book of Form and Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki, I really enjoyed it. On the subject of daytime TV my choir are singing on Steph’s Packed Lunch tomorrow, it's a 'Cancer Special' 

Sarah 

• What was the book about Salis? I’ve not heard of it. How exciting about your choir, I’ll try and catch it. It’s on about 12 is it? 
    Jac x

• It's the story of a young teenager and his mother, the boy hears the voices of objects, the mother is a hoarder. The writer is a Buddhist, it has a Zen theme. 

Yes the show is on 12 while 2.05, I think the singing will be at the end, and they may interview one of the choir!

Sarah 

• Excellent, I’ll try and catch it. I used to be in a choir but was taking up too much of my evening when I was teaching. Now my voice is not what is was because of the lung mets I think. But maybe singing would help that! 

• Is that Monday on Stephs pack lunch.? Hope uour well Sarah. Lots of people think my calender is great, when they see it on my fridge. XX

Moi