The Book Club Thread

• 72 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi all been chasing about books today and Shadders suggested starting a book club. So here we go.

1. We take turn a piece of picking a book.

2. We each read the story, by book, kindle , audio.

3. We give our opinions .

4. Shadders should pick the first book.

Anyone interested ?

Moi

• Nah, it's OK.  The sexist stuff is already apparent by chapter 4, equally shocked.  

• Well done Moi, goodness you read quickly! I have only got a few chapters in as wasn’t motivated to read it for some reason. I think it was because I was going to bed too late for a read. Back on it now so I’ll try and catch up! 
    Jac x

• Good morning Jac, yes I do read fast, I often read a book twice incase I missed anything lol. Reading is my escape from reality. I'm looking for another book to start at the moment.  Hope you have a good day and enjoy the story xx

Moi

• Hi Ladies I can't comment on this book yet read first few chapters told my wife she would like it now she won't give me it back untill she is finished.

• Hi Ulls and Mrs Ulls it's a good read you can also give us your wife's view of it Ulls if you want. Been to Southport today I'm looking for The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osmond. Nobody had it. Hard backs sold out and paper back coming into Waterfords 11th so I'll have to wait. Hope you've both had a good day xx

Moi

• Hi Moi she has not finished reading it yet, bedtime only, will inform you one she has finished.

• Finally finished Lessons in Chemistry! Don’t think I’m revealing any spoilers here for those who are still reading but if I don’t write this now I’ll forget! Once I got into it loved it! So interesting to read about women wanting a career in the 50s and early 60s and the social rules at that time . And as set in America believing in God was such a big thing and no one admitted that they didn’t. How suffocating that must have been. It was funny too and there was a smattering of laugh out loud moments. I admired Elizabeth Zotts no nonsense approach. Slightly irritating that she was described as beautiful throughout and there were references to her slim waist etc. what’s that got to do with anything? I liked the portrayal of men too and the inclusion of some good ones in addition to the requisite baduns was key I thought. Anyone else finished it yet? 

What shall we read next? I have a whole bookshelf of Tbr so can supply suggestions if needed but equally happy to go with someone else’s suggestion 

• I'm just at the bit where she tries rowing.  

• Ah, it starts to get really good from now on ( I think anyway ). Be interesting to see if you feel the same Mmum

Jac x

• FINISHED IT!! \o/

I got really stuck and bored with it after she started rowing, but eventually I picked it up again (because I had to report back here!).  Wow it really did take a turn after that point!  

My daughter gave up at the rowing as she started to find it unbelievable.  But we are talking about it so much in the house that my husband has declared he is going to have to read it.  

My conclusion - I think it's about sexism, single parenthood, and building a career in 1960.  Daughter disagrees.  It's definitely not about chemistry though.  Weird lady with a strange take on daytime TV.  

Oh and the lies.  Shocking.