Personal care

• 11 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I hope it's ok to ask about this. I don't shower for several days at a time, especially when I feel weak and nauseous. Do you all manage personal care, or have any tips for when you find it difficult please?

I hate feeling grubby. Hair wash is difficult too. I have cut my long hair much shorter to make it less of an effort to do. 

Teeth cleaning is often a struggle too. I don't use toothpaste some days as the taste if even a tiny bit can be too strong. My sense of taste and smell have been hypersensitive for months.

So any suggestions rounds these issues are welcome please.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear you've been struggling. Can anyone give you a hand to make it easier? A shower stool might help, if you have room in your shower. This could also be used at the sink. I got mine from Amazon but if you didn't want to buy, ask your CNS to refer you for assessment for daily living aids/equipment. 

Teeth cleaning might be easier with an electric toothbrush as it's not as much effort. Have a look for mild children's toothpaste, these are sometimes bubble gum or strawberry flavoured (or they were when my daughter was little) rather than strong mint flavoured. Hope this helps,

A x

• Hi i used to help my hubby, could your hubby help you. Taste and smell can be altered due to treatment, though i always found some thing else to use,

Can you not, get hubby to wash hair, over the sink,  will not take to much effort, i would say.

I do shower every day and wash my hair, there are ways round everything, it is trying to work out what,

I have heard of some type of cap, that you put on your head, cannot think of the name of it, an some how it washed your hair,

Try looking on amazon.

• I use an electric toothbrush. I will have a think about how my hubby could help me. Thanks for the ideas 

• Lucy please speak to your GP about a referral for an Occupational therapist. Someone will come to your home and discuss your needs with you, and will be able to help with any adaptions/aids to help you. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. I was in hospital recently and used shampoo shower caps from Amazon. They also have extra large wipes to use when you can't shower. They have unscented wipes too. I found they are surprisingly good, especially if you pop them on a radiator to warm them up before you use them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

• Thank you. Do you have a recommendation for a particular brand of wipes please? Amazon seems to have loads of different types.

• I use something called FreshWipes. They do the shampoo caps as well. I've always found them to good.

• Have a look at Kingfisher toothpastes. I can't stand the taste of mint on anything, so I use their fennel, which is really nice. I've also used salt ones and a lemon one from the health stores by a company, if I recall correctly, Dent. Just dipping the brush in some salt water will help and is better than not cleaning at all. Use with a toothpick to get the bits out.

I was marooned in a hospital bed for two months and found that the nurses routine always made me feel better, though it was chilly sometimes, but a combo of hot flannels , baby wipes and good old-fashioned talcuum powder made you feel human again. Soaking your feet in a nice bath of warm water and then a foot massage and moisturiser on tootsies, clean socks. Bliss.

Hair was an issue and they washed it with me holding my head over a bowl and pouring it over with a jug. The relief when they'd done it was absolute - only once a week. Dirty hair really did get me down. Daughter sent me dry spray shampoo which was OK short term, but eventually made your scalp very itchy. I wouldn't bother with that again.

Most people don't need to shower every day anyway and your skin will dry out if you do. Just keep comfortable until you feel like a shower. Rainie x

• I was going to suggest Kingfisher toothpaste too! It's really effective.