Managing fear longterm

• 23 replies
  • 48 subscribers

It's been a month since my diagnosis by the urologist. Some days are better than others. Denial seems to help. During this time I spent 12 days in hospital having a pleural effusion drained and an infection treated.

I am finding confronting reality hard. I feel sick with fear when I think about it. I have my first oncology appointment next Monday morning, so may have a better idea then of how much my cancer has spread, and any treatment options. 

I have no idea how the process of dying happens over the weeks and months before death. I don't know what to expect. Any ideas on how to find out, and how to not be paralysed by fear so I can make the most of what time I have left?

I am already weak, and have no appetite, so I am expecting oncology to say my kidney cancer which has spread to both lungs is already quite advanced.

I read the posts on this group and admire how you keep going. I want to be like that, not fade away in fear and misery.

• Good Morning

I have spoken to you before Lucy.

It is hard and every one deals with it in their own way.

I have to say, i was the opposite to you,i become stubborn, and kept going one day at a time.

When you have your appointment, and everything is explained, and get your plan, you will know what way you are going.

Everyone gets a plan and normally  fill slightly better because some thing is now being done,

Lucy, i do not think about dying, because i am not going any where yet, i was incurable from day one, and come this Match, will be seven years, how i got this far, i trusted my Oncologist and still do,i have a few problems now, and she has already told me, what my treatment will be, i cannot ask for any more than that.

1. A lot has happened since i was diagnosed , i had heart  attack, , lost hubby  to cancer and i nursed him and my daughter got diagnosed with breast caner, i still carry on, because i need to and want to. 
    2. Please try and focus on one day at a time, until you have the full picture, do not waste each day,, worrying over things we cannot change, that is how i look at it.

It is a hard journey, but you can do it.

You will fill better after your appointment i am sure xx

• Oh Lucy, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so low, I can understand why you're feeling that way though. If it's of any help I know that loads of people here are behind you and hoping you can get out of your low mood.

Can I suggest Lucy that you give the MacMillan help line a call and speak to someone there who will be able to help you, they have a lot of knowledge of how you're feeling and can have a chat with you. 

The number is 0808 808 0000

Ring as soon as possible Lucy

Take care 

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • I have been diagnosed with an inoperable tumour at the base of my skull and the side of my face is affected too. Palliative radiotherapy only. As people say, you find the best way through for yourself. I was really annoyed that I'll never finish all the Kindle books I've bought, although in the great scheme of things, that's not important! I found out about the cancer on 16th December and Christmas was bad. As others have said, you can't live at that heightened level of worry constantly. Things change, they really do. So many people have outlived their gloomy prognosis. It gives you hope, it really does. Best Wishes. Xxx

• I hope that, once I have my first oncology appointment next Monday, and know exactly what options I have and where I am with stage 4, it will help. 

• I hope so. The scariest thing is the unknown. You never know what the future holds. It could be better than you imagine. Xxx

• The book you need is called ' With the end in Mind' written by a Katherine. Outstanding. 

Most on here have read it, it will settle you.

I read it in one go, got it for my Kindle.

Buy it today, it will get rid of some of your nightmares.

• It's by Kathryn Mannix, just looked it up.

• thank you. I have just bought it for my kindle. Perhaps dying is like childbirth in that people only tell you the horror stories.

• This will change your perception, for the better. I dont say that lightly.

Like Ellie I have managed nearly 6 years so please try to put your thoughts about how long you have to one side.

• Oh Lucy, you mind need a little bit of help with counselling, i have had it, though for bereavement.

My hubby was in hospital six weeks, came home, and yes, he was not himself, i really thought he was going to get better, alas he did not, though no horror stories, as such, yes he went in an hospice, for five days, and to be honest the

end was what i called a peaceful passing and it was.

,All the worrying in the world, does not solve anything, and brings you down, you need your energy, to go forward.

I have never really worried about what might be, i do everything they ask, so my bit is done.

I am sure you will fill so much better after your meeting on Monday, see what they say, only asked questions, you really want answers to , the only question i asked, was Give me Hope and the reply was There is always Hope, and i hang on to that, and still here to annoy other.

Ellie xxs,