Results latest

• 11 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi everyone, I had my latest blood picture for my bone marrow cancer on Friday last week. I'm pleased to say that I'm stable. My platelets are low, but not at danger level. Likewise, but closer to danger level, are my haemoglobin level and my neutrophils level. 

I also have a rare blood condition called haemachromatosis and my reading should be around 50 and my figure is more than 650! The normal method of treatment is by blood removal but as I can't have that because my blood levels will be even lower, the method of treatment will be by iron chelation. In simpler terms it will be by taking tablets that help the ferritin (iron) to attach to other compounds and, well to be blunt, come out with my poo. The haemotologist took time to explain the risks which are quite severe and involves being checked for liver and kidneys efficacy operation and also more concerning, having my eyes monitored. for retinal degeneration. These checks are needed to be performed every 3 months..

Strange, but also common are treatments for one ailment, can affect other parts of the body..

Keep well and stay safe everyone.

Tvman xx 

• Hi Tvman.

So please you had positive results, I love you description being blunt about poo, well it made me laugh. Please stay well so I can see the fruits and veg pictures, which inspire me in the garden.

Have a lovely afternoon hugs Donna

• Great news for you in the stable Mabel club xxx

Flippen
  • Hi Tvman, that is mostly good news so Congratulations! The main thing is they are keeping an eye on you, which they are! Mrs T. must be so relieved to find she is married to Mable! LOL!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Tvman, a bit of a mixed bag but mostly good news. Slight smile 

• Hi tvman,

Good news that you’re SM but must be quite worrying to be on the treatment plan you are on. Fingers crossed that these drugs don’t affect your other organs and that you remain a Mabel for the foreseeable. 

Jac x

• Hi Tvman,

Glad to hear that you're in the Stable Mable club. The treatment for your haemochromatosis sounds daunting. The condition is in my family as well, but so far everyone who has it can be treated by venesection. Fortunately for me I'm only a carrier.

Sarah 

• Hi Sarah  , thank you, I'm just keeping my head above water as far as the cancer is concerned.

Haemochromatosis is a different matter though. I've done some research about it and to be a carrier, only one parent has one of the mutated genes. My mutated gene is called H63D. Both my parents must have had the mutated gene for me to first of all have Haemochromatosis and secondly to develop the disease. My brother also has the mutation and when his level reaches 60.or 70, he's in for a venesection whereas I have to have iron chelation tablets. I've been on them before but some kind of miscommunication occurred that left me without treatment for the last 3 or 4 years, tablet wise and side effects monitoring.

I'll be back on track soon.

Take care Sarah 

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • My mother's parents must have had the mutation because she and at least one sister have it. We think my grandmother must have had it, and assume grandad was a carrier.

Sarah 

• Anyone having the mutated gene is a carrier but anyone having both parents with the mutated gene will be a carrier and have a 1 in 4 chance of developing the condition/disease. Hope that's clear. 

My parents didn't know they had the gene because there was no knowledge of it before they died.

Take care Sarah

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Hi Tvman. Well that’s great news about being stable. Fingers crossed your treatment plan does not cause severe side effects for you, it’s always worrying but fingers crossed the 3 month check is OK.

Nigel