Newly diagnosed but incurable.

• 44 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Thank you so much for accepting me. On 16th December I was diagnosed with cancer. After all the tests, I found out on Friday just gone that the only treatment they can offer me is radiotherapy to postpone the inevitable. They said I may have months or maybe two years. It's a squamous cell cancer, under my chin and spreading up the nerve to my eye. The whole side of my face is numb and I'm currently in hospital with the eye sewn shut and antibiotic drops to help it heal, hopefully. I apologise for any wrong buttons pressed as I'm struggling to see with one eye and I'm not good with technology anyway. How does everyone cope with this sort of news? How do I stay strong for my family? It all feels unreal. 

• Yes. After all the scans and biopsies they had the MDT meeting and this was what came of it. I still feel very much in the dark. I'll make a list of things to ask on Friday. Meanwhile, it's helping me to cope, finding people who understand here. Thank You. 
  • No need for thank you.

We where all new once, so know how it fills, like you are the only one, you come here, and then realize you are not

No one knows how we fill or what is going threw our scrambled brains, my hubby never really and at times i only told him a little bit, as we try to protect.

Though people here really do know what it is like, that is why you can say anything

because we have all been there, and at  times have to again.

It does fill like a weight has been lifted, when you can speak freely here, that's  ' why we say.

Scream, shout, rant, cry what ever, we have all done it, though pleased you found us, though wish it could have been elsewhere. 

• Hello AnnaMary, sorry to hear your diagnosis. Your in the right place, as Ellie and Co have told you we are a group of good people, supportive,  caring,  quit funny at times and we do understand each othere and you get some pretty good advice as well. Just take one day at a time, keep posting xx

Moi

• Thank you. I've just seen the eye doctor who is sending me home. My eye will still be sewn shut and I have to use drops 4 times a day. I'll have to start wearing dark glasses! I'll see what happens with the radiotherapist on Friday. I'm hoping I'll fare better at home. 

• Home sounds good, although I'm intrigued how you get eye drops into a shut eye?!

• So pleased you are getting home, you will fill so much better, and hopefully get your head straight, and prepare for Friday x

• I think you will cos you will feel more comfortable at home and you can potter about or just relax with family or friends. Remember one day at a time. Sending hugs xx

Moi

• It does sound weird! The doctor leaves a tiny gap at the inner corner of your eye, where the drops can go in. 

• I have questions for him on Friday. When I get my notebook I will have more. I am home now and so pleased to see my dogs after two weeks. The eye doctor says he can help with the eyelid problem but wants to leave it for now because there is so much else going on. I really don't want to go out looking like this! This page is the only thing keeping me sane. 
  • One day at a time is a good plan. Thinking ahead to what may be is scary. X