On being overweight

• 49 replies
  • 50 subscribers

I have been putting on weight lately. I don't think I can sugar-coat it, I've spent the last 4 months eating my body weight in chocolate, mince pies and the like. I have been feeling unhappy about having cancer and that I always will, till I pop my clogs. Now, I must make it clear that in this I am talking about my self image and self judgement when I say that it's tough enough at the best of times getting my cancer-ridden overly ample figure through my Pilates session and round the block on a walk and being heavier and having more padding in the way is not in any way helping. And I've fallen off the swimming waggon completely. I always was so fit and active, I tell myself, I did a physical job and walked everywhere and I am crestfallen about what's become of me. OK I have to have cancer and I don't want to, but I don't have to give in to being unfit, right? Well, unfit I am, and less fit than I could be. Oh, I don't feel good about having gained weight, and I stopped fitting into my jeans weeks ago.

I can admit to having had a kind of self destructive death-wish about my recent biscuita/cakea/chocaholism. It goes like this. I don't drink any more due to the disease in my liver, and I have zero self control so I'd better not start that again. So if not an evening glass of wine, how about a 200g bar of chocolate instead...a couple of nights a week...when I'm not eating mince pies? Or even as well as mince pies? And a cake after every meal and in between meals and a packet of biscuits before I go to bed? Yes I feel knackered because of the treatment and the disease and I feel worse being overweight but why should I exercise restraint on top of all the other rigours and privations of having b. cancer? Raising my blood sugar and my blood pressure and having a fatty liver can't be good for my outcome but I'm stuffed anyway, right? And I feel pretty terrible about having secret binges which my missus always notices and forgives me but I know she's unimpressed and the dog is insane with jealousy and Oh pass the biscuits....

Well I've managed this week to not buy more chocolate and not eat everything in sight, and I've sort of stopped putting on weight, but that's not going to make it easier to move unless I actually lose a bit. And I don't know the rules of the game now- if I cut things out (well other than cakes obviously) will I send my bloods out of whack? What if my calcium goes too low due to chocolate deprivation? What if I need the extra layer later on...which nutrients can I do without? Obviously the sweet stuff but where's the fun in life without a sticky toffee pudding? I'm in mourning....no I'm not, there's still some in the fridge...

So, answers on a postcard please. Do others recognise this sorry tale of addictive eating in the context of feeling sh*t about what's happening inside my body? Do others struggle with the person they see in the mirror? Have others, and how have others stayed as fit as they can for as long as they can, and has anyone got a really really good recipe for Chocolate Guinness Cake?

• I certainly have this problem of self destructive eating this crap disease took my mobility which I find so much harder than having an incurable diagnosis which I'm sure most people will find hard to understand. I have a powerchair now which gives me a bit more independence as I can now go where I want when we are shopping rather than where I'm being taken as I was in a manual chair. I can walk very short distances in the house which would be much easier if I didn't weigh as much I'm sure. If anybody has the magic stop eating so much rubbish key I would like it too please

• Ah Elliekate bless you. I can very much understand that losing your mobility is a great big deal and more distressing in many ways than being incurable. Well, stopping being mobile radically changes your whole life doesn't it? When I was very sick last year I was unable to get about for a few weeks and it was utterly limiting and needing care to do even basics just really taught me a big lesson. I was reading in your profile about your experiences of cancer spread to your bones and my heart goes out to you. I have a few pathological rib fractures which aren't nice and some hotspots in my lumbar spine, but I realise I am lucky that that's all for now (as far as I know). 

• I shouldn't whinge because I have been so lucky in having good response to treatments that meant I've seen my girls grow to independent young adults which in the begining I thought wouldn't happen so really being wheelchair dependant out of the house shouldn't be such a big deal and like I say if I didn't weigh so much I might get around better. So I am going to make an effort to stop eating rubbish. I'm going to tell my husband not to buy anymore chocolate that will be a good start. I will keep you posted on that. I'm waiting for scan results and doesn't that make everything a million times worse. Its not unusual to wait at least 4 weeks. I definitely eat my emotions

• Aw good for you well here's to any encouragement we can give each other on the chocolate resistance score! Oh scan results are always a shadow on the horizon aren't they. I try to associate them in my mind with still being here...I tell myself living with the axe over my head is the cost of being alive and that seems to help me fear them less. But I have my next set coming up at the end of February which is fast approaching :-(

You must be so proud of your girls.

• Hi Elliekate & Sarah, I can definitely understand how you both feel but especially you Elliekate, after years of walking, badminton, tennis, cycling, Tai Chi Chuan, gardening and swimming, when I got surgery after my diagnosis, I was and am left with nerve damage. Like you, I need a wheelchair outside but can walk a very short distance with elbow crutches.

My son bought me an electric scooter that brakes down to 5 pieces to go in the car, so you can take it anywhere. The problem is, I can't lift it in or out of my car although it fits no problem. So I need my husband with me when I want to use it which defeats the idea of being independent! Also because I stopped everything at once, the weight went on. I wasn't even eating rubbish it was just the fact after years of exercise I was all of a sudden immobile!

Yes Elliekate I too think that is worse than having cancer. If I was mobile but still had cancer, I wouldn't mind. If I could go out for a walk, round the block, it would be heaven. It doesn't sound like a lot to ask for after numerous surgeries and side effects and that is what I fight every day. Like you I have been very lucky the Trial drug has given me extra years and I count my blessings every day when I see our three grandchildren. We just have to make the best of what we have but it is not easy.

Since November I have cut out snacks completely and have been taking smaller meal portions. I've done oK apart from a treat on Christmas Day, I have lost 9kgs but it seems to have taken forever! It is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things! Good luck girls!! Loosing weight can only help, so I will keep going!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi all, well Annette,  your doing well, doing the same as you as uou no. Well what weight I lost I put back on, had my treatment yesterday and my nurse said she's  pleased I've put the weight back on.well I said , your saying that and the diabetic clinic want me to loose weight. I've got to get a few pound off again as I've bought quit a lot of size 14 clothes.  The 20s have gone to charity with the 18s. I've kept a few size 16.So am banishing the carbs. Hang in there girls we can do this xx

Moi

• Moi, thats exactly how it has been with me!  An oncologist who wants me to keep weight on and a diabetic nurse who wanted me to lose it.  Well, a lot of it has gone over the years, kidney stones and stents didn’t help!!!!

•   that's exactly what I mean, just to walk the dog or go to the beach which would be a 10 minute walk from home. However a town just nearby are looking to get a beach wheelchair that you will be able to hire by the hour for this summer so I might get back on the beach and have a paddle. Last year for my 60th my friends came from Cambridge and Guernsey and we hired a beach hut for the day and had prosecco and fish and chips for dinner and it was lovely. Then we had a party with much food and drink to celebrate with old friends and family a big birthday I wasn't supposed to see.

@Sarah49 well I've already failed miserably because after I had been messaging you last night I found a mint Aero at the bottom of my bed somehow so I ate that before going to sleep!!! So much for willpower.

• Hi Roni, as you've guessed I'm going by dress size. My diabetes is a side effect of my immunotherapy treatment, so I'm one year diabetic. I feel a lot better with the weight loss. I don't want to go mad 10st would do me fine. XX

Moi

• Ha ha oh dear well it's not your fault if you get ambushed by an aero is it?