NHS disappointment

• 8 replies
  • 47 subscribers

good afternoon all

I’m home now after my immunotherapy today feeling a bit tired but otherwise ok. It seems the issues I’ve had this week with getting meds at the pharmacy have continued as when I got to hospital this morning my meds had not arrived from the hospital pharmacy, the sister was blaming the pharmacy, which I accept in part it is  up to pharmacy to ensure meds are dispensed, however in my opinion it is also the ward staff responsibility to chases the meds for the patient, if the patient arrives on time and they are left sat for nearly 2 hours waiting for meds to arrive on the ward that’s poor and it is in my opinion the ward staff responsibility to chase the meds for the patient, not make excuses to the patient and say it’s not my job.

It made me smile when I heard the staff complaining about not being able to have their break because the meds had arrived late, so when my nurse said to me I’m not getting a break anytime soon, I said to her what’s your problem all of you have been stood for the last 2 hours having a break while the patients have had their time wasted, she looked aghast at me, I continued saying if the senior nurse or sister had taken the lead and phoned the pharmacy to chase the meds maybe the meds would not have been so late patients wouldn’t have been kept waiting and you might have got a break. She looked astonished and I said it’s called doing your job not passing the book. I don’t think I’m very popular at the hospital today, but my times limited and it’s certainly others to waste it for me. 

i know in the main hospital staff work hard and I have always supported them however, I do expect they will do their job professionally excuses and passing the book just don’t cut it with me.

any comments please 

• Hi, I no what you mean, waited an hour once in waiting toom, told they didn't have a chair, I said OK I'll go home the then, I was rushed through, and there were a couple of empty seats. A few where messing about laughing and joking, one said just come your having a bad day doesn't mean we have to. I said I was having a good day till I came here now can we get on with this funny girl. Funny I never saw her again. Its hard for them at times and 1 or 2 should remember it's hard for us to. xx

Moi

• I understand totally I have even phoned the pharmacy myself from my mobile because the nurses cannot be bothered to 

Ruth 

• This happens a lot unfortunately, and it is the pharmacy that seems to be the issue. The staff really do have their hands tied as far as pharmacy is concerned.  

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • hiya chelle

thank you for your response. I appreciate the pharmacy are the biggest part to blame, however my point is the ward staff specifically the senior ward staff have a responsibility to the patients, when the patient ensures the turn up on time for their appointment then the senior staff on the ward to lead by example and at the very least call the pharmacy to chase the meds for the patient, I can assure you that was not done this morning at my appointment and I wasn’t the only patient waiting there was 8 of us and nothing was being done by any of the staff to get the meds to the ward. In my world its called team work, you don’t pass the book.

I can’t support anyone in a professional environment not doing there job and I won’t apologise for that, given that I’m treatable not curable, I don’t have time to waste sitting in a hospital waiting for meds. They should try putting themselves in my shoes, I expect they would have something to say.

Have a good evening 

Donna

• Nice one!  Indeed, what were they doing when they should have been administering treatment to all the patients in the waiting room, had the drugs arrived on time?  Luckily I've not had this one.  I keep getting the graveyard shift at 3pm because I only take 2.5 hours with no complications.  

• I’ve sat in oncology for 8 hours before waiting to see my oncologist. Nothing you can do about it, it is what it is x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Well done Donna, you tell 'em girl. I have a cracker of a story here, I had forgotten about it until I read your post.

Last year I was rushed into hospital with sepsis and I was put in a ward which was a shambles. Through the night a nurse woke me as she was shouting at a poor man in my bay who had dementia. Then later the same nurse was yelling at a female patient who had wet herself before she reached the toilet. 

The next day a man was brought in with a waterworks problem. He complained about a nurse who was rude to him. That led to the nursing staff turning their backs on him so what did he do? He phoned 999 and said he needed urgent treatment. Where are you asked the voice on the end of the phone? ***** Hospital, he replied. Wow, talk about getting their backsides kicked! 

Solved his problems with the staff!

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Well done that man x

Ruth