In the waiting room

• 11 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi everyone, I've at last got a face to face appointment and I've had bloods taken so now I'm waiting to speak to a consultant and to get the latest blood picture. 

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx 

• Good luck tvman 

let us know how you get on xx

Ruth 

• Good that you have a face to face appointment fingers crossed for you xx

Flippen
  • Hi Tvman, How was your appointment? Please let me know!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi tvman, hope your face to face appointment went well, much better than phone call or vidio call. Take care xx

Moi

• Wishing you all the best and hoping all is well for you. Rainie x

• Thank you for your concern everyone. My appointment went well, I have never had an appointment where the doctor explained so much in fine detail about anything that I asked about. The appointment lasted for over an hour in which he explained fully about each element of the blood that I asked for the latest figure. So my haemoglobin, neutrophils and platelets were lower than most people's but thankfully above, though just above, danger level.

However, it's a different story for my ferritin level. Ferritin is a blood protein that contains iron. Anyone who has read my profile will know that I was being treated for a blood condition called Haemochromatosis, sometimes called iron overload, which led to my bone marrow cancer diagnosis. Haemochromatosis is a hereditary blood condition where the body doesn't break down iron, causing iron deposits in major organs and also causes arthritis in major joints as the surgeon found during my last elbow operation. 

So without me adding labels to the numbers, a normal person would have a figure of 50 -60. My brother also has been diagnosed with Haemochromatosis and his consultant would have him in for a venesection (removal of 1 unit of blood) if his level reaches 75. I cannot have a venesection because it would put my haemoglobin level dangerously low. Yesterday, I was told my latest figure is a whopping 912! Now, the doctor discussed a different method of iron chelation through tablet form which I've had before but there are dangerous side effects. 

So although my cancer may be relatively not too bad, the blood results threw up a different worriment.

Thank you once again for your concern everyone.

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Hi Tvman, There is always something else they throw at us, not always to do with the cancer! I have been told recently I have iron deficiency anaemia so maybe if you give me some of your excess iron, we will both get back to normal!

I am pleased you had such a satisfying consultation!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi tvman,

im glad your doctor was very good explaining everything to you I hope the ferritin level isn’t too dangerous.

when my Hb  was OK my ferritin level was low and I was put on iron.

They don’t always test my ferritin level.

it is a worry for you I am sure with the help of your doctor you can decide what is the best treatment for you xx

Ruth 

• Hiya Tvman 

so pleased you had a clear explanation for your questions. All round I hope none of your levels ever get to a dangerous level and everything remains as stable as it can 

Donna

• Hi , good to get such a comprehensive explanation even if it does put more fears into the equation. 

My last blood test showed my red blood count had improved after the chemo but there's questions about my liver and kidney functions and calcium levels, might be  side effect of the Covid I had but continue to watch this space.

Hope the treatment you receive helps without the side effects.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett