Comparing hospitals

• 11 replies
  • 48 subscribers

I’m posting this here as well as in the general chat

Ok so I have been to various hospitals for treatment and physio and I’m comparing (and rating) the non medical bits of each (as the staff in all have been great) and people I know have added but these are mine - feel free to aid your own 

it’s stuff that matters as far as I’m concerned when you have to go to the hospital a lot - I’m in one at least once a month 

1. QE Birmingham- has a Costa (as a coffee drinker this is big points from me), it has a shop with M&S food section which is Hainaut for snacks, good phone signal in the building and a fruit and veg stall outside 

2. Stratford upon Avon hospital- good cafe in the new building, I also got a panda pop in the friends shop in the old building - also very cute garden that has strawberries growing at the moment. Decent phone signal too

3. leamington spa hospital- has a Starbucks complete with fish tank, also garden very good place while waiting. Decent phone signal 

4. Warwick - cafe ok for coffee but nothing like the top 3 Pensive phone signal is ok

5 Coventry hospital - NO PHONE SIGNAL had to add this as it turns out it bothers me so it pushed Coventry down the list and now i look for it, worst for parking, but does sell Starbucks and m&s food 

• Here's my factors which impact the likeability of a hospital:

1/ Car parking

2/ Is the unit a lock-in - can you just leave at your own will, or does a member of staff need to scan you out on departure?

3/ electric car charging

4/ Convenience/distance from home

• Parking is always an issue. I go to the same hospitals in Bristol all the time and have found where I can park now. But it is expensive 

Definitely need an on line connection x

Ruth 

• Hi all I use the new Clattabridge in Liverpool

1. Free parking in a new parking block.

2. Cafe on first floor food and drinks good quality and decently priced.

3.Relaxing waiting areas.

4. Own wi fi  so very good. Good phone reception. 

Royal Liverpool University hospital.

1. Parking block but a bit expensive.

2. Own wi fi so very good and good phone reception.

3. Good coffee shop on the first floor, restaurant on lower ground, used to do good food there when I worked there,  but not fussed on it now.

4. Very old building not fit for purpose anymore. But hay ho they have saved my bacon on about 4 occasions, very good care.

5. Moving over to New Royal Hospital at present, move should be completed by end of gge year..

• Parking does seem to to be a big issue  then as well. I have found that most hospitals have a severe lack of blue badge spaces 

I never seem to be able to get a blue badge space in Birmingham and as a wheelchair user it makes it incredibly difficult having to park in a standard space with no room to get the wheelchair out

• Norfolk & Norwich:

1. Staff marvellous. Never had a poor experience. Medics first rate.

2. Food [by Serco] If you're admitted arrange for decent supplies to be sent in if you can as the food is foul. If you're a vegan you'll likely die of malnutrition - I lost over 2st. - and relied on my family sending in food parcels: my daughter arranged deliveries by a member of the Norwich vegans [lovely people]. But no matter what you eat it will likely arrive overcooked and looking like a slab of brown,greasy leather. Judging by the full platefuls of dinner scraped into the waste bucket after every meal [the trolley was always parked just outside my room] nobody ate very much at all. You get the picture. Oh yes, and breakfast porridge that you need a knife and fork to eat. Yes, really.

3. The parking system is awful and if you are disabled the machines are often broken and it's too far to walk to the alternatives. Very stressful every trip.

4. The hospital still has everything on paper so if you want to access your records you have to fill in forms and go through a long-winded process to get your hands on them.

5. Phone signals are terrible. Often had to rely on the ward phone. My re-charging cables kept disappearing too never to be seen again.

6. They've got some shops but I've never spent time in any of them. An M&S I think.

Enjoy!

Rainie x

• You never say what you really think Rainie.

• I know. It's a fault isn't it? But at my age, I don't really care, do you my erstwhile assistant? xxx

• Wouldn't it be nice to care but I don't care that I don't care!

Beam me up Scotty.

• Slightly off topic, but related, I think it would be really funny to engage with someone on this forum and then discover they were at the same hospital (Edi W) as me and meet them in person at the Tues clinic.  Grinning

• Urgh the food sounds awful

im vegetarian and the only option at a lot of places is cheese so it’s a matter of just using the shops 

back when I was 13 (pre veggie days) I spent a long time in bham children’s hospital- I have a memory of fish fingers with no fish - just hollow breadcrumbs, family and the even nurses brought me food in from local shops and even the staff cafe just so I will eat something. I had hoped think I’d improved