2 year limit on Immunotherapy! Please tell me this isn't true.

• 14 replies
  • 53 subscribers

I have just come off another cancer chat forum and there are a fair few people, patients and carers who are extremely upset rhat even though immunotherapy is improving and extending lives, it is only offered for two years max.

People are angry that this fact often  isn't mentioned at the beginning of the treatment plan, and if it is briefly touched upon, its veiled in medical reasons, when in actual fact its purely monetary and is all to do with funding.

• Hi Harebellle, this question has arisen a few times in the lung group. I know it sounds awful, and it does sound like the funds are pulled after 2 years, but that is not the reason.  

Immunotherapy works by tricking the immune system into fighting off the cancer cells. After 2 years the immunotherapy has done its job and the immune system continues to fight the cells. 

This really should be explained at the beginning of treatment. X 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Yes, this ^^^.  Although the immunotherapy drugs leave the body within 24-48 hours, the effects linger on way afterwards.  Think of immunotherapy like a vaccine, not like an antibiotic, when the impact is complete once the drugs are no longer being taken.    That doesn't mean to say that it can't be restarted, or a different immunotherapy drug taken, if new growth appeared.  

It doesn't necessarily stop after 2 years - it depends on the review.  And if stopped, scans would continue.  

• Total agree with what has already been said.

Was explained to me from the start, at the end of two years it stops, i completed the time frame, and finished in Dec 2018, i am scanned every 3 months, thou 18m months ago slight growth and i had 13 sessions of radiotherapy.

Ellie x

• As with all different cancer treatments time frames do vary. With lung cancer you do only get given it once, and there is no further immunotherapy offered. This may be different for people with kidney cancer for instance. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi chelle.

Your explanation is spot on, I have immunotherapy for lung cancer and the 2 year time frame was explained to me. 

Do you know why immunotherapy is prescribed only once for lung cancer patients but can be prescribed more than once for patients with other types of cancer

regards

Donna

• Hi Donna, I really don't know why this is the case. If anyone else has any thoughts on this, I would be interested to know.  Maybe it is something as simple as different organs react differently to treatments ? Immunotherapy is still a fairly new treatment and things change all the time. There are new treatments for lung cancer being researched all the time, it may be that new immunotherapies will come along with different treatment times as well. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I suspect it's to do with drug licences and ultimately trial design?  I was offered one immunotherapy combination which had practically zero options afterwards, but the others weren't limited in this way.  

I didn't realise LC was so different to kidney cancer.   Thanks for the info.  

• Hi Harebelle,  I'm on my 27th round of immunotherapy.  At the very beginning  I was told 2 years only, as the 2 yrs came along I asked what next, I was told they were keeping me on it as I'm doing very well on it. I'm a guinea pig again, low dose for longer. We'll  see how it goes. My cancer is bowel with mets to groin, abdominal cavity, lungs oh don't  forget left shoulder, I'll take what ever they throw at me. Take care xx

Moi

• Forgot to say I can take a break for 8 to 10 weeks every few months. Xx

• Good for you Moi2 keep it up!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!