New bits of kit

• 11 replies
  • 42 subscribers

How do you fare when something goes wrong and you have to replace it? Is it just me who cannot bear to read an instruction manuel, download a PDF file of instructions that often bear no resemblance to the object that's just been delivered, or make my brain accept that I have to accept a 'change' to how I have happily done something for years?

I've just gone through one of those sagas to replace a mobile phone that had died. At first, it had seemed repairable so there was the Stage 1 saga of sending it off, getting it back working and then seeing it die permanently some 4 hours later. 

Then there was the Stage 2 saga of spending hours and days looking for a replacement that could do all the stuff the old one had done quite adeqately, but that didn't cost £1500 and play the Ring Cycle every time I switched it on. Bear in mind also that having been a photographer, I'm fussy enough to demand a camera capable of actually taking images I can print. 

So, at the end of last week I'd actually made a decision, ordered it and had taken delivery of said phone. The Stage 3 saga then began: smart-switching; downloading ; updating and installing everything off the old phone into the new. Daughter said it'd take about 15 mins. It took me 4 days. I've only just finished. The good old days were so much simpler - and now I sound like my mother. Jeez!

I think I deserve a Metaxa.

Rainie x