New bits of kit

• 11 replies
  • 42 subscribers

How do you fare when something goes wrong and you have to replace it? Is it just me who cannot bear to read an instruction manuel, download a PDF file of instructions that often bear no resemblance to the object that's just been delivered, or make my brain accept that I have to accept a 'change' to how I have happily done something for years?

I've just gone through one of those sagas to replace a mobile phone that had died. At first, it had seemed repairable so there was the Stage 1 saga of sending it off, getting it back working and then seeing it die permanently some 4 hours later. 

Then there was the Stage 2 saga of spending hours and days looking for a replacement that could do all the stuff the old one had done quite adeqately, but that didn't cost £1500 and play the Ring Cycle every time I switched it on. Bear in mind also that having been a photographer, I'm fussy enough to demand a camera capable of actually taking images I can print. 

So, at the end of last week I'd actually made a decision, ordered it and had taken delivery of said phone. The Stage 3 saga then began: smart-switching; downloading ; updating and installing everything off the old phone into the new. Daughter said it'd take about 15 mins. It took me 4 days. I've only just finished. The good old days were so much simpler - and now I sound like my mother. Jeez!

I think I deserve a Metaxa.

Rainie x

• Your daughter should be off your Christmas list. All the kids know we oldies can't do it so a throwaway remark is all you get. 15 minutes indeed. Bill Gates couldn't do it in that!

I would consider four days to be a success. The first Metaxa won't touch the sides so two I think is a just reward.

It must have settled now after its long journey!

• Feel totally drained. Time for an Eagles concert I think. You must have been fagged out watching your mower go round and round. You surely deserve a cold beer at least??  Cheers. Rainie x

Metaxa - tried it last Saturday and was so very good. Going to make it last though. 

• It won't go in its kennel properly. So it can stay outside in the open, we will see if it is waterproof!

Always something.

Being a tart, I am on a freezing cold bottle of rose d'anjou. I do remember having a metaxa fest on Kos 50 years ago, none since!

• I sympathise It would take me take me days and a lot of stress.

i would ask my children to help me 

I wanted some printed photos from our party taken for mobile phones  and my son helped me to get them from Tesco print. I wanted some more and can do it myself now xxx

Ruth 

• Hi Rainie, I think changing your mobile is one of the hardest things to get your head around! However when I got my new Samsung mobile, the O2 shop transferred all the information from my old mob to the new one, it was great. What did take me ages was turning off all the stupid noises like you say a chime when the phone is switched on or off. It pinged when you get any kind of notification, it clicked loudly when I took a photograph, when it was updated, needed changed, was finished charging etc etc Get the picture! Until I worked out how to turn all the sound things off, except when a text or Whatsapp came in or someone was calling, it drove me mad.

Like Ruth, my daughter showed me a few things (she has the same model) and now I can do it all by myself.

AA some of us oldies are moving with the times! Lol!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi, I just thought I'd give you a laugh and let you see what a sheltered life I have lived! I just googled metaxa to see what it was! I thought it was some kind of headache pill!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • You did make me smile. I shall think of you the next time I pour myself a shot. It's a really delicious drink with some ice and takes me back to our wonderful trips to Greece.

Like you, I too have got to turn off the silly notification noices. I agree, really irritating. And I just realised that everything transferred except my hotmail. Shall have to do that myself it seems. Probably deliberate. I am having Zoom consultations with my daughter!   Will crack it soon.  Rainie x

• I loved  metaxa when we were in Greece xx

Ruth 

• Put some moussaka in the oven, a bit of bozuki music on and get a bottle from the supermarket? Yammas.

( spelling all wrong I know)

• Hi Rainie,

I'm sorry to say I am totally spoilt and have a husband that is a jack of all trades and can turn his hand to anything. It's a good job I'm likely to be going first as I hate anything like this, trying to work stuff out. It's a mare and a total stress.

Metaxa is one I haven't tried, will have to investigate

Amanda x