If You Didn't Have Cancer...

• 24 replies
  • 51 subscribers

What do you think you would be doing in life?

This is something that just came to me. I know a lot of people would probably be working or enjoying retirement. Are there any hobbies you think you might have started?

If I didn't have Cancer I'd still be working. I work from home but it's not the same as it was. I also wanted to go around the world but haven't been able to so I know I would have done that at some point.

I certainly wouldn't have spent so much time in hospital Grinning

I often think and wonder what life could have been like.

• It is an interesting question. I would have been working still, so I am adapting to an early retirement of sorts. Like Ellie, I am immune compromised so going out is restricted to being out doors. Not so bad this time of year, but very anti social in the winter. The days of going abroad look like they are over but we have been away self catering a couple of times in this country. I am just grateful to do what I can at the moment to be honest. 
    Nigel x

• Nigel. think it was Raine that is immune compromised,though i am like you, i am grateful for each day, and do what i can when i can.and if i do nothing so be it.

Ellie x

• Hi Ellie. Yes, sorry  - my mistake. 

Nigel x

• No problem, it happens, and i should know that, i have also done that.

We are all here for the same reason, we would not be human if we did not make mistakes, mine is normally spelling, lol

• I had so many plans for retirement- lots of volunteering and not having the responsibility of a stressful, if lovely, job. Covid put the kibosh on much of it as much as cancer. However now I feel less energetic than I was and it does limit what i can do. I do wonder if I will go abroad again. i am not obsessed with holidays, and I hate flying but I did like the occasional trip. My daughter lived and worked in Spain for four years, and she goes back every year to the place she worked for the last 2  years, a personal development retreat which offers  courses in lots of things, like yoga, mindful photography, walking, flamenco, creative writing etc- and it is a lovely place. She asked me yesterday if I might consider going with her later this year and I said I would give it some thought. Insurance is such an issue though . Last year we went to a music festival together but I know I wouldnt have the energy for that this year. Cancer free I would definitely be at more festivals - love the vibe, the open mindedness and diverse people, and the music of course.

• Perhaps some people still achieve great things anyway. I dropped this idea of future plans and felt better for it because i was grieving for something that's not guaranteed for anyone. Having said thHeartt my bucket list is pretty short. Days out to the coast or countryside does me fine. PeaceHeart

• A day out feels like a big adventure nowadays Tony!  Hope you get out to the woods again soon.  Rainie x

• I’m similar to you, readjusting to living with cancer and working, mortgage cleared so meant I’ve been able to visit California, but not enjoying work, feeling undervalued with mediocre pay rises, I Blaim cancer, trying not to be bitter. I would have moved on by now.  Equally fortunate not needing to earn the same.  It’s taken 3 years but starting to feel more confident and starting to look

• I went out to Bere.forest, Wickham just for a short walk today with old.friend . What i.took.for.granted when.i was healthy has become an achievement. Hoping for more days out..Take.care.

• Hi OBS, The place your daughter worked and lived in sounds perfect. You've got to say yes and go with her! It's not as if she's asking you to go skiing or mountain climbing! It sounds like somewhere I'd like to visit myself! Go for it!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!