Well what a month that was

• 17 replies
  • 53 subscribers

There was a thread where I went into hospital with some odd symptoms. I was admitted on 25th April and within 3 days had a septic shower that scared the hell out of me.  The next two weeks were spent getting my blood levels Back to normal and getting my infection markers back to normal. During that time the feeling in my legs reduced and my legs stopped working completely. So I am no paralysed from the waist down.  There is no surgical intervention that doesn’t have more chance of killing me than helping me. 

Eventually everything was ok for me to leave hospital which happened on Monday so I am now at home in a hospital bed in the living room with a wheelchair and a commode chair which wheels over the toilet when I need it.  I cannot leave the house as we have no ramp, the bathroom needs remodelling and I can’t get in or out of the car so options are very limited. 

so now I’m facing something that I thought may happen in the end but never imagined would happen in a matter of a few days and so soon.  

the cancer journey is different for each of us but boy does it throw some curve balls at you from time to time.

At this point I’m a little all over the place and trying to settle into my new life as a person in a wheelchair, not sure how this is going to work but I have to make it work some how.  

• I cannot believe what has happened to you in such a short space of time I feel so sorry for you that you are in this position and I really do hope that your medical team and other people will be able to sort out things in your home and car so life will be better for you I know you are a fighter and I am sure with a few modifications that you will have things will work out for you much love xxxxx

Flippen
  • Richard I am so sorry this has happened. what an awful time you have had, it is so lovely to hear you are home at last. 

You have always been the one for getting on with things, no matter what is thrown at you, so I know you will make this work. 

xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I am so sorry to hear this Richard, this road we are on is like a book, we never know what the next page will bring, and we just turn the pages and carry on. You are home and that is the best place, and you will find the new me, and carry on, because that is what we do.

You have your family and that is the main thing , you take care.

Ellie xx

• Oh Richard, it must be hard. Is there a chance the feeling and use could come back? If not, i hope you can get things sorted to make you more mobile. Not good being stuck in the house. But i'm glad you're home at least. Big hug Pet

• Sending my thoughts out to you Richard Heart

• Hi Richard, I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost feeling in your legs and have to be in a wheelchair. It's a shock, a severe shock, to go from moving around independently to being restricted to a wheelchair. I feel your anguish.

As you may be already aware, a series of events caused me to lose my independence also, with the added complication of being diagnosed with an incurable cancer a mere 6 months previously. Life had just served a double whammy. Although I can move around the house, albeit with strategically placed seating, once I leave the confines of my house it's a different story. I had to quit my job also after 35 years because it was totally impossible to continue. I was faced with having to make it work as a person in a wheelchair.

If I can give you some crumbs of comfort I have found that the public are so very helpful in opening and closing doors and in a large cafe in a local town, as soon as an assistant who helps with arranging seating sees me in the queue, she immediately appoints a free table for my use. Entrances to restaurants and shops are accessible and staff in our largest supermarkets are helpful in lifting items down as well as carrying larger items out to my car. I have been particularly impressed with the attention of staff in a couple of theatres in London when I travelled to London. You will also find that many establishments will only charge for you and allow a carer in free. A carer is defined as a person who attends with you. I first encountered that when my wife and I travelled to the Eden project in Cornwall and I thought she was doing us a favour!

I'd guess that the OT department in the NHS have been in touch, they are the ones to sort out a ramp to your door if you don't have many steps. 

I hope you can quickly find your way in a wheelchair Richard.

Tvman

PS If you want to PM me to chat about it, you're most welcome

Love life and family.
  • Hi Richard,

you are very brave coping with this and you seem to be finding ways to cope. It is good to get adaptations to you house to make life easier for you xxx

Ruth 

• So sorry to hear this Richard, but you come across as a strong man and I'm sure you will adapt to the new you. Your experience just shows what this awful cancer can do to us out of the blue. Tvman has good advice for you. Take care and thinking of you xx

• Hi remoh

so sorry you find yourself in this situation, it must be so frustrating for you. I am sure with your will power you will devise a means to deal with this you seem to be such a strong minded person.

for now take care hugs 

Donna

• Thank you all for your kind words and your support. I’m sure I will get my head around this latest change to my circumstances and as things get sorted I will start to see a more positive future than I do at the moment. At the moment everything is new and everything is a bit of a struggle and things like ramps and bathroom refurbs are all going to take weeks to get sorted so it all looks like a long journey at the moment 

I will get there. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you