Is a holiday worth all the worry and effort?

• 8 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I thought I would like a last chance to go somewhere I know and really enjoyed pre-diagnosis. And particularly to leave a last lovely memory for my huband and two sons. (This could backfire horribly).

The fact that we can drive to the south of France means no airport, airline or transfer worries. I can take loads of Lucozade! and all sorts of supplies. Best of all, we take the dog, which is why we've done this in the past. Just climb in and go. We have stayed before in this lovely villa, with beautiful views and in a picturesque village with lotsof restaurants. France is known to be good for healthcare if the worst happens.  So it sounded feasible.

All I need is to be well enough, but I haven't had a good day for weeks. I've been on the third line, Cabozantinib, now for two months and nausea is almost daily. Poor appetite and the fact that everything tastes appalling means I'm losing weight. Often have diarrhoea. I developed a bad pain a month ago and there's no way to find out what it is, apparently, without the scan, due in two and a half weeks. So now I'm on morphine. I could have pulled a muscle or be at death's door - just don't know.

My scan is on 20th May and we are due to go on 30th so we should get results but the consultant might say I'm unfit and that'll be that. I just can't tell and it's hard with no-one to talk to or ask.

Has anyone else been in this position? Was it worth it? Are there any tips? What have I forgotten?

All the best everyone!

• I can't see that you are not  going to have much fun if you go feeling as you are. Memories of being sick whilst on the karsy are not what you want.

If the scan provides some answers or good news I think you should wait for that.

Then on to Eurostar straight down to the sun. A bit of a rush but doable. Good luck  whatever you decide. Xx

• Hi Ted

Thank you for the response. Yes, it's all waiting isn't it. Keep going! x

• Its difficult. And insurance just in case. Theres alot of 4K vlogger virtual tour's on you tube, i watch on my big screen of most places in the world. Honestly, i feel as though im there. During pandemic I could still travel with precious half. We went to Wales, Scotland and other places. I remember thinking how stress free i felt and such great places in our own backyard. Enjoy. whatever you decide.

• Hi Tony. I sounds like you have made some good memories. Hope you make many more. Take care!

• I was on pazopanib as first line and had similar but less strong side effects. I spoke with the consultant and he said most of these drugs stay in your system a long time and he said just don’t take them whilst you are on holiday, now your fight against the tumours is a little weaker as the week progresses but your side effects may reduce rapidly.   It’s about both quality and quantity in our line of illness. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi Chillamum and welcome. I don't think we have chatted before! The first thing I thought when I read your post is you may be a mum but you don't sound very chilled! Lol!  I would advise that if your scan is on 20th when is your appointment or telephone call with your consultant to get the results? Firstly, Do you think you will have them before the 30th? Secondly would it be possible for you to postpone going to the villa until you feel a bit better. As Ted said, there is no fun in going away when you don't feel well & especially with diarrhoea which can be very debilitating and embarrassing!  Thirdly if this is somewhere you have been before, could you explain the situation to the owners of the villa and check out available dates.

Usually, here in Scotland, it can take four weeks or more to get the results and see the oncologist. Assuming I am feeling well enough, that's when we go away and it takes my mind off the results.

To be honest, I think you have forgotten that a holiday is for everyone to enjoy and you shouldn't feel you have to go because it is booked! If I am feeling unwell, to me there is no place like home but maybe you feel differently! Please keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do!

By the way, my oncologist told me NOT to drink Lucazade as it gives you an imitation lift but once the sugar is out of your system, you feel down. She told me I'd be better taking an Actimel per day and I have been doing that as it helps with stomach problems! Sorry for the long reply!!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Chillamum, Ted and Annette (anndanv) have spoken some wise words. I agree that if you feel ill on holiday, it could be miserable for not only you but the rest of the family too. That would be a holiday you wouldn't wish to remember. I'd also be concerned about your results being available before you go and I'd have a word with your oncologist and find out about the results timetable. 

For me, I wanted to go back to the Nice area and have a meal in Menton on the south coast of France close to Nice. We did have a meal in the same restaurant as 15 years previously however it was at Easter time instead of August, the area wasn't as busy and our daughter was with us, she was married by this time. The feeling was that it was the Last Supper, so the atmosphere didn't cut the mustard!

Whatever you decide Chillamum I hope you have a lovely time.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Only you know if you feel well enough to go.

i have been to Greece the last 2 summers and had a fantastic time. But don’t feel up to going this year.

i am going to have a 40th wedding anniversary party instead.

it is good to have something to look forward to.

waiting for the scan result seems to muddy the waters. I think you should go by how you are feeling 

best wishes whatever you decide xx

Ruth