The difference between knowing and not knowing!

• 16 replies
  • 45 subscribers

The difference between knowing and not knowing!

We all leave in the end but for most people, they don't always know until nearer the end

I guess with incurable disease, we often get advanced notice of some kind but even that doesnt mean anything.

I have thoughts like this, sometimes. Even today, i was treated to another trip to.the Bluebells near Wickham and I was thinking about the number of young people ive known who went suddenly.

Still, the Bluebells look good. They've had the longest best.season.down here. I cannot think of better place to be again today

Take care everyoneHeart

Tony

• So glad you could get out again.A tranquil image and I hope you found it calming, as well as beautiful. We all have those thoughts Tony, but something lovely helps balance out the sad thoughts. Hugs. Rainie x

• Happy to hear that you got to see the bluebells again it's good for the mind

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • I need ro switch off. Yes, i think too much, head in overdrive but natural stuff is calming. Theres a stream nearby though fairly.dry now

• Yes I have those thoughts too. But getting out and about really helps to balance it out at least some of the time. The bluebells in our local woods are a real picture this year. Nigel

• Hi Tony, It is great you had a nice trip out. Although we didn't ASK for a prognosis (well I didn't anyway) we know our time is possibly limited. In my head I have turned it into a positive thing because I know as far as my family and close friends are concerned, everything that needs to be said has now been said, so there should be no regrets that anyone wanted to say something to me but didn't get the chance. This makes me happy and relieved! Both my parents died when I was under 30 but although I know they knew I loved them, there may have been other things I would have wanted to say, given the chance. Now I know this will not be the case with my own adult children and siblings.

One of the few things on my bucket list was visiting the Bulb Fields in Amsterdam. Even when I was told not to fly, we worked out how to get there by train and ferry and went within a few months of diagnosis, so where there's a will, there's a way.

Continue to do the things you enjoy, every day for as long as is possible! The little things matter (like seeing the bluebells)as much as the big things ( like seeing the bulb fields) so enjoy everything! Make happy memories for your family to cherish!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • I try to just take each day as it is and have local days out when im up to it. Wasn't always easy because ive had a very active life but its now having to do  what body allows. Glad to see you made it to Holland.  Heart

• Yes I did quite a lot of travelling and went to New York and Florida when I was first diagnosed and felt well enough to do so.

we have had holidays abroad every year.

but like Tony I stay local now and I am glad to do what I am able xx

Ruth 

• Hi Tony, I also had a very active life before cancer, walking, badminton, tennis, tai chi chuan, gardening, were just some of the things I used to do on a weekly basis. The hardest part has been accepting I can no longer do any of it!

Like Ruth, we used to go abroad several times a year but since the start of Civid have had a few staycations, Scarborough, Pitlochry, Lake District, St Andrews, Ayr etc. the Scottish places just for long weekends but Scarborough for two weeks with the whole family. We are going back again this year.

At first when diagnosed I still was well enough and mobile enough to travel but time has changed that. As you say, take each day as it comes and do things on the good days! I hope you have many good days still to come!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Tony, after diagnosis in March 2015 at the age of 57, just like others, I had a few holidays and trips. I hadn't had many holidays over the previous 35 years as a self employed person. I didn't think I would reach 60, I'm now 64 so I accessed one of my pensions. I had a couple of upgrades as far as the house was concerned and I bought a few brand new household appliances so there would be less chance of breakdowns to trouble my wife.

But the holidays, they were enjoyable. We went to New York, Italy, France, had a couple of cruises, a few visits to places like Kew gardens, the Eden Project, the West coast of Ireland, a few shows such as sports personality of the year, BBC good food show, a few professional snooker competitions, and definitely the best of the lot, monthly trips to see my daughter and grandson in Peterborough (where I am right now in fact), also trips to Aberdeen where our son lives and studies, trips around Scotland because we feel so welcome with our fellow Celts and of course a fee short breaks in England such as the Lake District and Norfolk where of course we also feel welcome..

Covid has stopped us in our tracks just as it has others so we will be more than happy coming to Peterborough to see my daughter who now has a beautiful 11 month old granddaughter.

However, pain still wakens me no matter where I am. I've been awake since 4am and it's now 5.30.

Take care Tony and everyone

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Wishing you peace from the pain. Im not sure some people fully understand our pain unless they have it too.  I find the fatigue often worse than anything. I suppose my world has shrunk now and i feel better. Any anger i did have has become more accepting my situ because theres nothing i can do . Im 62 this Year so ive had a fair run. Have had time to reflect on my life. None of us are here forever are we?