Strange experience!

• 17 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi All

This weekend I had a very strange experience.

Hubby and I met up with some old friends we’ve haven’t seen for the past couple of years due to Covid. They normally visit a holiday cottage nearby so we went to visit them. Jen had hurt her back so we just visited for coffee as she couldn't do lunch but insisted we visited and not cancel as i’d been so long since we’d met up.

It was lovely to see them and their children, now all grown up, daughter at uni, I could remember when she was just a toddler when Jen fell pregnant again - son’s now at college.

We heard all about Jen’s husband’s Rick’s long wait for knee replacement surgery as well as his hip replacement. He’s developed type 2 diabetes which has caused peripheral neuropathy with which I can sympathise.

We talked about my hubby’s successful hip replacement in November and how much difference it’s made to his life.

The one thing we didn’t talk about was my hysterectomy, my cancer and the fact it’s come back. They didn’t ask about the chemo treatment I’d just undergone or my future outlook but I’ve told Jen I’m incurable.

Jen did mention to hubby when I was out of earshot that I look really well.

It was really weird, Rick just didn’t stop talking about himself, Jen couldn’t get a word in edgeways. As Jen has had breast cancer and is 3 years clear I thought they’d touch on my predicament but no, nothing mentioned at all.

It’s the first time we’ve met up with friends since the pandemic started so will this be the norm? I’m not happy to be incurable but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to talk about it.

Left me feeling a bit strange.

Hugs, Barb xx

• Hi Barb, I’m sorry such a lovely event has left you feeling like this.  I hope you don’t mind putting my view on this. 

I was reading through your post, and I think you hit the nail on the head. Your friend has had breast cancer, so she knows how sometimes it is just nice to feel normal, and not talk about cancer. Maybe her saying you look well, was her way of opening up the conversation to see if you wanted to talk about it?   

Some people just don’t know how to talk about it, or how to start that conversation. I don’t think your friend meant to be insensitive. Maybe drop her a line and tell her how you feel xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelle, she mentioned I looked well to my hubby when I was out of earshot, not to me! Anyway Rick didn't give anyone else a chance to talk! 

Jen's talked to me about it, just seemed they didn't perhaps want their family, even with grown up children, to venture into that conversation.

I'm always very upbeat about it, don't go sobbing into my drink, it's what it is! Pi***s me off but he-ho

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hii Barb Heart

I'm glad you enjoyed meeting up with your friends and their children, though I'm sorry it's left you feeling this way. I'm not sure why your friend didn't want to talk about it, maybe because she's in the clear now and doesn't want to upset you or she doesn't want to be reminded of her own cancer? I don't know. It could be a number of things I guess. Still doesn't make it any easier for you of course.

Last year I saw an old school friend when I was in the town and she stopped and spoke for a little bit. She knew I had cancer but she didn't ask about it or ask how I was doing or how the family were doing. That left me feeling a bit upset after. I put it down to that maybe she didn't want to upset me. But still not sure if that's what it was.

I hope you won't let this upset you to much today lovely xx

Sending you lots of hugs and love,

Love Jess xx

• It sounds like you feel let down but your friend. I’m sorry that has happened. I have had a situation with a very close friend before when I was talking about my condition, she said “oh I thought you were cured!”   I’m not sure how a friendship can become that disconnected that she didn’t know. Very disappointing when you realise that your friends are not the friends you thought they were. 

Sending hugs xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

That's sad and rough for you Chelle. Things like that really show you who your real friends are.

Sending love and hugs xx

Love Jess xx

• Could it be that they hoped to give you a distraction, just a little time where it was like the old days?  Or maybe the incurable word has made them unsure what to say.   I love it when my cancer doesn’t come up in conversation it’s like life is normal for a very short period ?

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi Barb

I am sorry you have had that experience. Since I have been incurable I have had lots of support from friends and also people outside of my friendship circle. But one of my closest friends has shown little or no interest in my condition either to me or to mutual friends when the subject of me has come up. Some people really  step up and some just don’t sadly. I have found myself gravitating towards those those who I know are supportive, even though we certainly don’t talk about cancer all the time. Hopefully, like me, you will your friend is in the minority.

best wishes

Nigel xx

• Ha!  This would be a dream conversation for me because it means that I am more than the cancer within me to these friends.   Although saying it, it sounds as if Rick turned the conversation into a monologue. which I agree, sends a different message entirely.   

I've decided I'm only telling people about my cancer if I have a definite reason why they need to know and why it is to my benefit.  

I think it should be all about what we want.  If we want to talk and be open about it then fine, but if we want it private then that's fine too.  I remember when I went to visit my family to tell them my diagnosis I couldn't get a word in edgeways - for three households!  In the end I just had to abruptly interrupt with a changed tone to get their attention because it was time to tell them!   

Perhaps next time will be different?  Or take your friend away for a walk to discuss it 1-2-1? 

• I know this is a theme which re-occurs every so often. I have neighbours who never ever ask me how I am, and others who do and  find that weird. Same with friends - good friends ask me about how I am doing but then we have conversations about other stuff, including their lives and troubles. Some people just cant face talking about it and fear upsetting us, others have no idea how to ask, and some people are just plain self centred!

I remember when I was diagnosed with the original cancer, I was just thrown by how two old friends just never contacted me, no card or anything, It really hurt at the time but eventually I moved on and now dont have those friends.

We are all different in our outlook on how we want to be asked about our health - some clearly just dont want it acknowledged, others do, in passing, and some are happy to talk openly. I do look back and wonder how I may have ben insensitve to other people over the years too.

Hope you can get over your strange feelings.

xx