Poshness due to education.

• 66 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Now in an earlier thread I accused our multi talented friend Rainieday of poshness. Only banter of course.

( although I am sure she is)

She blamed her grammar school education. I went to a grammar school but listening to my mangled syntax and diction no one could ever accuse me of poshness.I

Ellie73 also accuses me of being posh on the basis that we shop in Waitrose, but I think that's more acceptable than shoplifting in Aldi. (Not making suggestions here, just saying)

There seems to be a fancy on here to judge.

Now, knowing me as some of you do, possibly based on my posts, would you invite me to lunch with your best friend in daylight or would the very idea make you feel sick?

Don't be polite, don't beat around the bush, say what you think. ( as long as it won't upset me, I am a bit fragile)

• I don't remember the programme, I did French and Spanish at school, both have come in useful when on holiday. I picked up a bit of Greek whilst working in Greece, I can still remember how to say "throw your earth there" but that's not useful in many contexts!

Before I was diagnosed I was trying to learn Portuguese with Babel, but that fell away during my chemotherapy and I haven't managed to get the enthusiasm to restart, though I am hoping to visit my nephew who lives in Portugal, so I really should! 

Sarah 

• Get back on the porto, you can whizz over there for a break for pennies these days.

And of course I can as we are best friends.

• Crikey you posh oiks, I left school as soon as I could (I was already dodging school as much as possible), left with no qualifications joined the RAF and on retirement was a nuclear systems engineer.

Languages I used to be able to order beer in lots of them, Ted you are more than welcome to come round our house and watch through the window while we eat JoyJoy

Keith 

• Aw Rainie, foie gras on toast with a nice glass of chilled white wine is to die for. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Oh Ruth, your reference to Parliamo Italiano has just brought back a memory I had long forgotten! Stanley Baxter (a Scottish comedian) did a sketch on his TV show called Parliamo Glasgow which was hilarious. He would say a sentence in Glaswegian and then translate it into Posh English, things like, "Gonnaeno, Gonnaeno" translation, Please don't do that! & "Gonnae-Gonnae- Geeus-a-cudl translation Please give me a hug!  When Billy Connelly started on TV my husband used to say I came from the posh part of Glasgow because he would have to translate for me as I couldn't understand what he was talking about. Then once he started touring the country, he toned the Glaswegian down a bit and spoke more slowly so that everyone could understand him.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Glad you enjoyed the memory.

live always liked Billy Connelly x

Ruth 

• Hi all, I'm a Comprehensive school girl ! I'd invite you to lunch bought in Aldi or Tesco or Sainsburys you welcome with a bottle of nice wine. If your stuck up you won't get a second invite. I like bit of banter and lots of humour . As for Aldi a posh woman who we are acquainted with wouldn't Shop a Aldi. When loading our shop in car, she comes out of shop with a trolly ful of shopping in Sainsbury bags now that's a  posh snob lol X

• Now Moi2 I can help you there.

I did grow up on a council estate but battled my way from there to an account at Waitrose.

I am currently helping Ellie 73 to appreciate the finer things in life. It's been a long slog but she has improved immensely. No more Corrie or Eastenders, no more pie and mash, just self improvement programmes.

I am happy to teach you some of the same, we can discuss your elocution over a nice lunch.

This will be a good start for you and you will be able to make that first step to buying your hummus in Waitrose. Xxx

• Hi Annette 

I remember Stanley Baxter well, we, my family and I, used to watch his shows regularly. I think it was on a Saturday night but that was probably 50 years ago so I may be mistaken on that. He was funny but without swearing frequently like Billy Connolly. I'm no prude but I feel uncomfortable listening to Billy C. 

I have no problems with a Glaswegian accent (I think), as I have known many Glaswegians in my time. Sometimes for the benefit of English viewers there are subtitles. My son in law who lived in Edinburgh since he was 2 sometimes can't understand me when I speak. He says that I talk too quickly and my accent is so thick. I do use a few slang type phrases which is possibly why.

Have you ever watched Two Doors Down Annette? I have watched every single episode at least once. If any of our English friends here would like to watch a very funny series you can find it on the iPlayer. Some of Christine's cutting remarks are fantastic.. I'd really recommend that you watch it but unfortunately there are no subtitles!

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Well, although we have Sainsbury's delivery every week because I am Immuno suppressed and we don't take risks, I usually nip into Lidl once a week when I go to my MacMillan exercise class. Lidl's vegetables are first class and so cheap and of course I know a few things about vegetables Smiley We have Sainsbury's delivery because when the pandemic began in the UK, our Northern Ireland government hadn't a list of clinically vulnerable (as usual they were slow to compile a list as they are with many things, that's if they're actually talking to each other). So I phoned Sainsbury's, put my situation to the girl on the phone and within 2 minutes I was accepted for a delivery as often as I want. We don't have Aldi and Waitrose here and Tesco and Asda weren't available to contact. 

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

Love life and family.