Protecting your partner

• 8 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, 

Hi, I'm a 53yr woman  with a wonderful long term partner. I have BC with mets in liver and bones, so stage 4.

I've been thinking of ways to make sure she is protected when  I'm no longer here.

Have written the will, spoke to pension people and made sure I nominated her to have my pension. It also sounds like a good idea to have some kind of joint bank account and our names on a utility bill because some of the pensions want you to prove your relationship... I know it's crazy we still have to do this.

If it's what you want make sure you also nominate your partner with a will, lasting power of attorney for property, financial, health and welfare. 

I'm also leaving a detailed list of all the things she'll need to know. Passwords, documents etc. Not very romantic perhaps but I know she will struggle with all the admin stuff so I want to make it as easy as I can. 

Sometimes i still can't believe I'm doing this!

Anyone out there have any other top tips I should cover?  I'd be pleased to hear your thoughts. 

• I’m doing the same I’ve written a document called adulting 101 for my wife. All our bank accounts are joint so she automatically has access to them, we have a power of attorney so if I end up unable to make decisions she has full power to do it for me.  The document contains details of all important accounts, pensions , insurances etc etc. As well as a few tips on how to do stuff that I have always done for her.   I add to the document regularly when things crop up that we realise I have always done and she has to learn to do.   

one thing I have done is to take out 3 over 50 life insurances on the basis that if I lived less than a year they refund the payments now I have lived more than a year they will payout far more than I have paid in.  

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• You sound as if you have thought carefully about this. One thing you may also already have covered is making sure that other family members know your wishes so that there are no misunderstandings later on.

It is good to get all this stuff organised, I have also made a list of household chores, but I am pretty certain my husband has no intention of ever looking at it! 

Sarah 

• Good point, I have also written all the things I want for my funeral , songs and final words etc

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• I've thought about that but have decided to leave that stuff to the living! 

Sarah 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi kiwi gal. You sound like you have it all covered. 
    It’s a very difficult thing to do, and I’ve been doing the same, for my husband and our two boys. 
    I haven’t done a power of attorney, as wasn’t sure where to start tbh. Do you need a solicitor?

Ive typed all my bank account details, pension details, passwords etc, too. Have changed all the utility bills to come out of our joint account Yes, I’ve been trying to get joint names on utility bills too, it’s not easy as some of the companies are not very helpful. Council tax would show joint names?

Ive written lists of where I get food shopping, for certain things, and some basic recipes too. I’ve even done a list of what and how to clean everything. I know they’re not stupid but it made me feel better. 
    You be sound like to have thought of it all. 
    im also happy to hear of any other thoughts, I may have missed 

xxx 

• Thanks for your reply everyone. When I wrote my will I also did the lasting power of attorney. One for health and one for financial. This was an online company who sent me the forms. I didn't need a solicitor for it. 

At this point I'd like to avoid doing any of this and run off and hide somewhere cancer can't find me.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kiwi gal

Hi. I did my will through a solicitor, but don’t really want to do it all through him, so I’ll look online for form thank you. 

I totally agree, I feel the same, I don’t want to be me anymore, I just want to run away from it all. It’s extremely stressful. 
    Xx

• That’s why I did it all up front filed it then went back to living my life so I know it’s done but I don’t have to think about it

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you