Who wants to live forever?

• 7 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Apparently some billionaires do :

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/feb/17/if-they-could-turn-back-time-how-tech-billionaires-are-trying-to-reverse-the-ageing-process

All of us would like to live longer and in good health ( especially we members of this club), but the thought of never ending life is just horrendous to me .The billionaires in question, such paragons of philanthropy and moral behaviour, are just greedy it seems to me - wanting more of everything including life. I doubt they give a monkeys about the mass of humanity which is already scraping by, assailed by poverty, illness, climate change etc. If they did, they would be putting massive amounts of money into poverty relief,  research into mass killers like malaria, climate research etc. 

The whole idea of cryotherapy ( having your body frozen after death) is such a grotesque one - imagining you will be revived long after everyone you know is long dead, and the world will be so different. Almost serves them right if it happens. " Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

Am I just a curmudgeon? I am by the way.

• I agree with you, I think death is a part of the life cycle. Who would want to live with this bunch of A***holes who don't care about anyone else but themselves.

• Hi The main sentence in your post, to me, is "to live in good health"! Even healthy people have problems the longer they live! No thanks, it's not for me!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • It's such a total waste of everything: effort,money, time, skills. Who would want to be defrosted into a world where anarchy rules, the strongest prey on the weakest and those with an AK47 are in charge -  a state of affairs that I fear will soon be upon the human race because it won't collectively stop fouling its nest. The Garden of Eden is chock full of plastic waste. Who'd want to come back to all that chaos?  Rainie x

• Well said!

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• I've never wanted to live forever. My ambition was always to love to a good age, still able to enjoy life and live independently but perhaps starting to decline a little, and then to drop dead with a massive stroke or heart attack. Unfortunately, incurable cancer happened at the age of 56, but at least I will not live to be like some of the elderly people I see in hospital - they have no idea where they are and are unable to do anything for themselves. I really didn't want that. 

• Hi all, my only thing about leaving this world is leaving my kids behind. As long as my death is not to painful I'm ok with it.

As for spending money on being frozen !! It could be spent on a useful course. Also what if the electric goes and you melt, or better still people of the future forget where they put your frozen corThinkinge. Just a thought Thinking

• Hopefully people of the future will have more sense and better things to do than to go around unfreezing corpses! The few scientists who want to do it will probably have more than enough crazy rich people to choose from so they'll just pick the best ones. We should definitely not waste our money on this. 

I don't have children but I understand that leaving them is hard no matter how old they are. I feel I've had a really good life and although I'm sorry not to be able to enjoy it for longer, death is perhaps a bit easier for me to accept. Xx