Three Monthly injections

• 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

This seems a continuous battle I have, hormone injections come as 1, 3 or 6 monthly. I discovered 6 months too much so I’m on three monthly.  Now to the point, one month is defined as 28 days/4 weeks yet my surgery insists one using calendar months for 3.  Anyone else experienced this. After some digging and contact with Macmillan the conclusion is that for medical purposes 1 month is defined as four weeks, therefore 3 months is twelve weeks. The difference between 12 calendar months and 12 blocks of 4 weeks is 4 weeks.  Hence not optimal protection.  Please check any injections to see if they are monthly or 4 weekly.

link to American article below, apparently in the us patients self administer, anyone able to confirm that?

https://www.onclive.com/view/delayed-lhrh-agonist-dosing-doubles-castration-levels-in-prostate-cancer

• I find with tablets some come in packs of 28 and some don’t so they are definitely not consistent x

Ruth 

• Hi YoungMan, I am on a new calendar so can't look back. I go in every three months and when done get given my next date. I will check when in next.

I certainly won't be self administering, it's the most painful injection I have ever had! 

Him,it,dvd player.

• Hi YoungMan,

When diagnosed I was given 1 Prostap injection to get me started and have been on Prostap3 every 3 calendar months since. The injection is sent to my home and I take it to my Drs surgery where the practice nurse does the necessary. It is given in alternate arms and is painless with no side effects. If my date falls on a Saturday then I receive it on a Friday, if it falls on a Sunday I receive it on Monday. I was also told it had to be administered every 3 calendar months.

Take care, Tom. 

• I have a bone hardening injection every 4 weeks had the discussion with my gp about the difference ie 13 injections a year as opposed to 12.  Also I get my cancer meds every 4 weeks but they come in packs of 30 so I get two extra doses every 4 weeks so end up not needing a prescription some times. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi youngman. I am on zoledex hormone injections. I used to have monthly, every 4 weeks, now I’m on 3 monthly which has to be every 12 weeks. My cancer is rare,  but I have spoke to several other woman who have the same cancer as myself and are on zoledex, on an American forum. They are surprised when I say that I do not have the area numbed before the injection, but some woman there do the injection themselves, but they use a numbing patch first.  

I’m with Norbs, I couldn’t do it myself, but it is better now being able to go ever 12 weeks, rather than every 4. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge