Funny cards

• 30 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Have you folks run across greeting/empathy cards by Emily McDowell for people with serious illnesses? Saw them online, thought I'd share for a laugh. Hope pics work:

Patricia

• Ha!  I saw this post and thought "this is going to be something to scroll past" but I couldn't resist a wee peek!  

Love the "I promise to never refer to your illness as a cancer journey".  My local support service is called "improving cancer journeys" and it grated on me as soon as I was aware of it.  

Not happened to me yet, but I also like "Please let me be the first to punch the next person who says everything happens for a reason". 

What about this one:  "Shoot anyone who asks "How are you? or "Hope you're OK" ".   Bit unfair as no one knows my situation yet.  I know they are meant well, but these common phrases have to be the most leading and superficial questions/greetings.  

Thanks for the laugh, Claire xx

• You have to be in our club to appreciate these phrases. They used to give me the hump but since Patricia posted them they have produced so much amusement we need more.

We did have a competition a few years back asking what was the worst thing said to you.

It lead to a mass warning from the mods as we were suggesting killing people who said something particularly thoughtlessly.  

I can't see this getting past them as we have history.

Nice to hear from you Mmum.

• Is that the same as the bull in the china shop?  Rainie x

• No.  Bull in a China shop relates to someone careless.

camel in the tent refers to a camel who is cold and says can I just place my nose in your tent, then head, then shoulder and before you know the camel is in the tent. similar to the expression give an inch and take a mile

• Then I think it fair to say I've known a few camels.  Thanks YoungMan.  Rainie x

• Or like slippery slope?

The BBC site I mentioned is interesting, goes into all the English ones. Wonder if there is a site that talks about international idioms (ha, idioms, crossword word, 10 points to me)?

Patricia

• Imagine what a state Bill Bryson was in when he tipped up here. He got the hang of us then became so English that he couldn't cope with America. We are going to make you like that eventually Patricia.

I used 'axiomatic' to OBS, in the correct context a couple of weeks ago, not a flicker of recognition from her so you are unlikely to be awarded 10 points for your effort here.

Your old China, Norberry.

• You did indeed use axiomatic. But why would I not expect use of big words from a cultured chap such as yourself? I love words and miss being at work where I had conversations with all diferent sorts of people - and language had to be adapted to the listener. I was pleased to use the word "nugatory" in a text  the other week- first time I think I have ever had chance to use it.

In terms of idioms, I heard a colleague on the phone to another colleague whose first language was greek, and although he spoke excellent English, I did wonder what he made of her " it has all gone pear shaped".

Anyway in relation to "axiomatic" - you were right about the dogs' sleeping arrangements, i have given up at night - they sleep on the sofa.

x

• I had to look up negatory only to find it applies to me.!

Obviously I suffer from a bit of low esteem and have to be metaphorically stroked now and again.

Not playing with the big girls anymore!

Good old staffies, what a great new year they have to look forwards to, on the bed within three months, thats my bet?