Dealing with each day as it arrives - Peace and ACCEPTANCE

• 13 replies
  • 44 subscribers

When I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer just Weeks ago, i cannot say I was completely shocked. I had known for 3 Months that the possibility of misdiagnosis was there from 5 years ago I was angry and saddened instead.  im probably less angry now but sometimes overwhelmed that i will not be around at some point in the nearer future. Not sure if it is the fear or the process of dying of not functioning. 

• I sometimes switch off from cancer by focusing on other stuff but my mind often goes back. LIVING in the moment is great, but are there any other coping strategies that anyone can suggest?.
  • I dont think talking about death is sometimes good. It seems that only in the western world do we hide this subject. I think this creates unnecessary fear. Why people avoid something that happens to all of us.
  • Peace and ACCEPTANCE i hear alot about but how do we know if and when we reach it.

Thanks everyone and hope we have an interesting chat here. Have a good day if possibleHeart

TONY

• You get used to it, everybody does. It's not possible to worry continually, your body will not allow it. You will eventually realise you are not spending every waking minute driving yourself loopy.

• That makes sense, Take care.

• All I would offer Tony is not to die before you have to. I've had talks with my lovely surgeon about this and he absolutely believes in the body's ability to keep going and sometimes overcome - even with a terminal cancer diagnosis hanging over them. We only realise a tiny bit of what the mind can achieve in this respect. What is recognised is that you can all too easily give up and take yourself to an earlier grave than you otherwise might have. I know it's often hard to keep positive, but try and think of your positivity as another medicine you take just as you might be taking pills or having treatments. Take care. RD

• I agree with Norbs, it's not possible to worry about cancer constantly or your mental health will suffer to the extent that you'll have a complete breakdown. Initially, if you don't expect it then it can be a massive shock to the system. 

I'm more than 6 years post diagnosis, it doesn't worry me quite as much now as it did. Yet to be truthful, as I seem to be neutropenic most weeks now and my haemaglobin is very low too, it's a lot more concerning but I still think about cancer 200 times a day. 

Take care everyone and stay safe

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Thanks for your.wise.words.Heart

• Very greatful for your reply..

• Hi @Tony73,

We have this conversation on here every so often - yes we are a death denying culture, and it is sad that we cant talk about it more freely without feeling we are upsetting others. Not that we want to talk about it all the time, but being able to is freeing.

Another thread that has been on this forum may times is suggested reading if you are wanting to face death and dying head on - and in so doing have fears allayed. So for my money, " With the end in mind" by Kathryn Mannix is a great book to read - plenty of others agree with me, and as a palliative care consultant she is knowledgeable, readable and reassuring.

Others are right too, you cannot keep up a level of anxiety, eventually it decreases day to day and you can forget about it for long periods of time - immersing in things you find absorbing is a great way.  Nature is a great healer too.

x

• Read that book Tony, it will be the most worthwhile book you will ever read. Without doubt it will remove some of your anxiety. If you've got a Kindle stick it on that.

• Thanks. Very interesting feedback. Take careHeart Thanks. I will see on amazon if it can be downloaded or on my kindleHeart

• Thanks. I will see on amazon if it can be downloaded or on my kindleHeart