Starting Radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi Everyone 

am starting radiotherapy this Friday on my brain now, has anyone got any tips for me that I could use to help with side effect,am so scared about it..l know I have to fight to stay here but I just feel like I don’t know how am feeling  when talking to my children l cry my husband l cry and my friend I cry I just can’t stop crying am all over the place. So am going to sorry now if I come on here and ramble on about nothing at all.

Thanks 

Belinda 

xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi anndanv 

I know I think am just so touchy at the minute with everything going on as tomorrow I start my radiotherapy which am not looking forward to but am doing it for my family..then I see and hear people doing stupid things and then it why me what did I do to deserve this. 
    thaanks 

Belinda xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Morning It sounds as though things have been building up for a while. This is a place where you can have a rant without worrying about upsetting anyone. As  says, better out than in. Everyone reacts differently to radiotherapy just as they do with chemotherapy, sometimes the build up to starting the treatment is more draining than the treatment. As you’re not planning to change the treatment plan can you focus on reducing the anxiety around the treatment?  You’ve  already started by posting here, sharing your fears & asking for advice so that’s a positive. The goal is to save your energy for your grandchildren so although it’s natural and probably healthier to allow the negative feelings out now and again it’s important not to get too sucked into them.

Will be thinking of you today & am sending love & hugs xx

• Good luck for today feel free to have a rant anytime our gang are here for you anytime I know how you feel with your emotions but you will find a way to fight and not to give in I never thought I would but somehow I have and being on this site has saved me many times it's a roller coaster of a ride but with friends on here you will be supported in your journey xxxxxx

Flippen
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Hi Everyone 

thank you all so much for your ongoing support,it’s been a life line for me just to rant on and about how am feeling especially when someone people say say to you YOU HAVE THIS I feel like saying yes tell me about it.. I think to myself what do you know how am feeling about it all,you don’t know how am feeling you don’t have cancer and fighting for your life like us..

Thank you all

belinda xxx

• Good luck for today. I know they will explain everything and be very kind to you.

I have had radiotherapy to my neck and head and had to have a mask to keep my head still.

The treatment didn’t last long each time.

my side effects were due to neck owf lack of saliva and eating problems because it was my neck . Your head may be different.

the side effects don’t really kick in until you have more treatments.

if you get headaches nausea etc they know and give you the right drugs.

you will get through it ok.

I had a head MRI yesterday lasted an hour which I hate and took a Valium which calmed me.

there are ways to cope with these things 

live Ruth xxx

Ruth 

• Good luck for today.I’m sure they will explain ever and be very king to you. I had 6 weeks radiotherapy to my head and neck. I had to wear a mask to keep still but the treatment does not last long.I had  a lot of the side effects were due to the neck and eating and lack of saliva. Yours to your head   may be different they will give you the right drugs to help with headaches nausea etc.

I had a MRI to my head yesterday which I hate and lasted an hour I took a Valium before which helped  me 

There are things you can take that will help xxx

Ruth 

• Good luck...when i had rt to brain, side effects i had was just some headache ..how many you get? I think after the first few you will get a bit more relaxed..i hope so...it's just a lot at once for you. Sending you a hug!!