Reality check take 2

• 72 replies
  • 53 subscribers

My OH went back to work on Mon, a week later than planned but we certainly needed that extra week.

My sister was here all day yesterday, we had a jaunt out & I persuaded her to go home & let me have an hour on my own.

I decided to try propelling myself in the light weight wheelchair because my legs had completely given up. 
Mission accomplished, I launched myself out of the chair, whacked my head & elbow, right leg buckled underneath me & chair on top.

Couldn’t  get up but got a bit more comfortable & that’s where my OH found me. I had my phone & knew he’d be home very soon so 20 mins later, but in floods of tears & very, very shocked. Morphine & an early night helped, but still feel a bit shocked, battered & bruised. I’ve discovered that part of being independent is knowing your limitations.

What was I thinking of???? Luckily OH was very understanding. Have had a really quiet day with our youngest son who’s been working from here all day Blush xxx

• I'm so glad you're not injured and now enjoy the pampering...please don't overdue it

• Come on BOGOF Little Granny, we need an update on your latest excursions.  A jaunt to the pub, relatives round to you, any more mad moments with the chair? I do hope you have got some sun on you. You can be excused replying if you have bigger things to juggle with! 

We have got the pleasure of an estate agent coming around tomorrow. La Nobette finally agreeing we cannot live in and old house with a massive garden any more. Both too old and too knackered. New house and penury here we come!

• Things have gone a bit off piste here  not sure which way is up! OH’s 2nd week back at work & it’s brought some very strong opinionated women up front & centre stage... Having said I really, really don’t want anyone coming here from 8am -6pm a friend sent me her itinerary for tomorrow, starting with smoked salmon  for breakfast at 8am, cooking a meal for her family & mine while I did a PT session, going out in the afternoon & having a meal at 5.30....Had to say no,no,no & no. She then said she’d bring work & would sit in the corner so I didn’t have to play hostess. I said no. Asked her to come in the afternoon & we’d go for a coffee & use the accessible taxi.

Went for a zometa infusion y’day, but after 4 failed attempts at getting a vein I wouldn’t let them

keep trying, especially as I’m still bruised from the 7 unsuccessful attempts on sat. Asked them to email my Consultant & have a monthly injection instead. ‘Just let me have 1 more go’... why????

As soon as we reduce the steroids the pain levels go up & it ends in tears morning & night. Took all day to get a call back from my Macmillan nurse but they’ve increased the morphine by 50% & increased the oramorph too, phew.. Haven’t ventured out because the pain’s so draining, shame because it was a sunny 17* today.

We’re having a family BBQ on sat, it’s our 28th wedding anniversary Blush

My OH is Australian & his BBQ jerk chicken is legendary, so good to have something to look forward to because things feel too much outside my control at the moment. Need to get back to family, friends & fun! xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Dearest Tinalay,

This all sounds awful for you. I would definitely be hibernating indoors until it suits you to move the rock away from your front door. Sometimes its sitting at home having a sob on your own is therapeutic.  Bugger anyone who doesn't get that.You keep taking as much medication as you need, your plan was not to suffer unnecessarily so poke as much as you need down your throat. Its a bloody nightmare. I hope you get get a resolution for your veins, if it can be done monthly then they must allow that solution.

Start the wine early on Saturday topped up with something illegal, 28 yrs, you must be well suited or well patient!

Forget everyone and everything until you feel ready. Truly my best wishes to you.xxxxx 

• And I've just got a trigger email, what have I said that needs an armed response, its all too much sometimes.

• Hi ,I want to know what the top up is  you are suggesting,  guess the word meaning opposite of legal is what triggered.

Hi - sounds crap. Glad you got something good to look forward to on Sat and hope upping meds has helped.

xx

• Hello OBS, I really meant for Tina just to mix everything she has in her med cabinet, enjoy the evening and live in the dark for a couple of days afterwards. Awaiting another trigger email now. Probably get into trouble for saying trigger!

• Most of us have probably got more opiates in our cupboards than the local dealer. No need to go outside the law to get absolutely bladdered.

I spend a good deal of time completely away with the fairies. 

Laughing

• No idea why your reply got that response I think you're right, have a good cry and then move on. No need for painful, invasive infusions at this point and no need to accommodate anyone who's trying to run the show their way. I don't need or want to be managed like that. It's so much more peaceful when my sons are here working from home. They're on hand for lunch, drinks, a hand to get out on the decking, but don't make a fuss about anything. As always everyone here gets it, thanks for your support OBS it really does help xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Hi Tinalay, I have just read the updated replies here! You know I have a 'friend' like yours, who thought she knew it all! After my spinal op, I was home only about two hours when she came to the door saying she had come to "help"! When my husband answered the door, he said I wasnt long home and I needed to rest, she pushed past him and told him he could go for a walk as she would get everything under control! She then came upstairs to our bedroom and told me she had brought salmon & cream cheese sandwiches and she would put the kettle on shortly! Just then my OH came into the room saying he knew she meant well but he thought she should go now and he would call when I was ready for visitors! Her answer to him, I won't repeat, suffice to say, I lost it! In tears I told her to go and never talk to him like that again. He knew what I needed and it wasn't her, Goodbye and take her sandwiches with her as I couldn't eat them!

What is it with these people that think if you are not well, they think you need 24 hour company "to cheer you up" which as we here know, it is the last thing we need as it just stresses us out!

I too agree with Norberry, just take what you need to be pain free and enjoy your barbecue on Saturday. Will it just be the four of you?  I wonder has anyone mentioned patches for the pain instead of morphine & oramorph? I was taking a lot of morphine at one stage and phoned my GP surgery in tears because of the pain. The surgery's pharmacist came on the phone, asked quite a few questions and then prescribed patches for the pain. They come in different strengths and types and unlike some pain meds they actually work for nerve pain. Once on them, you get to know what strength make you sleep all day and how to adjust it if you are planning going out or anything. Please ask, it's worth a try!

I too have a terrible time with veins and have been told if I ever need regularly infusions, they would have to insert a port of some kind! It is horrible when you know you need a cannula for a scan, I cringe at the thought!

Enjoy Saturday's barbecue and don't do anything you do not feel like doing! You are the most important person there remember!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!