Reality check take 2

• 72 replies
  • 55 subscribers

My OH went back to work on Mon, a week later than planned but we certainly needed that extra week.

My sister was here all day yesterday, we had a jaunt out & I persuaded her to go home & let me have an hour on my own.

I decided to try propelling myself in the light weight wheelchair because my legs had completely given up. 
Mission accomplished, I launched myself out of the chair, whacked my head & elbow, right leg buckled underneath me & chair on top.

Couldn’t  get up but got a bit more comfortable & that’s where my OH found me. I had my phone & knew he’d be home very soon so 20 mins later, but in floods of tears & very, very shocked. Morphine & an early night helped, but still feel a bit shocked, battered & bruised. I’ve discovered that part of being independent is knowing your limitations.

What was I thinking of???? Luckily OH was very understanding. Have had a really quiet day with our youngest son who’s been working from here all day Blush xxx

• Hi Tinalay, Oh you poor thing! You are so right about knowing your limitations. It has taken me a very long time to work out there are more things I can't do than I can do. It is also easier, I think, for me to ask my husband to do something for me, rather than tackle it myself and then he has to sort out the mess when he gets home! It gets so frustrating.

We want to be independent and be on our own instead of someone "babysitting" all the time. It is nice to have a bit of time on your own but you've just got to realise you should rest, read, or go for a nap! If I fall, I cannot get up either, so know how you feel!

It is early days yet when your husband has just gone back to work. I'm confident you will get into a routine soon that doesn't include him arriving home to tears! I do hope you didn't hurt yourself! Take it easy my friend!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Oh my goodness, what a nasty shock, take it easy Tinalay

Love and hugs xxx

Sarah 

• Dear Tinalay, I have been  wondering how you have been getting on, what a shock for you and for your friends here. You are home and OK and thats where you must stay for a couple of days. Let other people look after you for a while and stop worrying about everyone on here. Xxxx

• What a horrible shock.  Sensible that you had your phone and could have called for help if needed.  I’m so sorry you had your move to independence backfire on you!!  Don’t try and do it all on your own to start with Tinalay - your family probably want to do the things they can for you and if that means you biting your tongue then so be it!!

I woke up this morning - result!!

• Your friends are all so right. Normally you would be the purveyor of good advice to unfortunates on here but this time your ears shouid be tuned to us. Xxx.

• How awful, please take it easy x

• Oh , what a terrible experience you have had, I was wide eyed when reading that and wanted to give you a big hug. Your OH is a gem and I'm sure he was regretting being at work. 

Next time you're out please take care. No more wheelies!

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • So good your OH was home without you having to wait too long. A horrible shock for you though 

it does show how we need other people around us.mvery wise to keep your phone with you at all times xxx

Ruth 

• What a rotten thing to happen Tinalay. Take it easy for a while.

Patmart

• Thank you for all these lovely supportive messages, which have made me feel so much better. It’s only been 6 weeks.... and there’s bound to be a few spills along the way. I was annoyed with myself. My biggest risk after infection is a fall, and late afternoon is a time I always seem to flag so I should have known better. No real damage done & another lesson learned. I really do appreciate the support and understanding of the  need to feel at least a bit independent. I’m enjoying a bit of pampering now. xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.