New wheels

• 10 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi all got my new wheels no unfortunately  not a new car but needs must a Walker with it's own seat have had some runs luckily  it hasent been to bad weather  wise in Lincolnshire suppose for me getting  my head round that I am now disabled have to admit my past was rather vain/macho have had a few tears of self pity the why me bit and C will get me in the end hi ho starting to except  my situation and to live life and I know this group for me is now part of my family which is a comfort best Regards to all

Jim 788

• Well done for getting your new wheels. You will have many enjoyable walks.

You are brave and will get on with it and enjoy the life you have. We are all here for you xx

Ruth 

• Nice one, Jim. Got any pictures? At least you don't have to worry about getting up and down hills out there on the fens Grinning

Ego and vanity cannot survive the many indignities that cancer throws our way. They are best disposed of anyway, as they are only there to drag you down. Your mental health depends upon your willing acceptance of your circumstances, whatever they are. It's hard sometimes, but we must accept what we cannot change, to protect our sanity.

Stoicism speech over, take care, Jim.

Stuart x 

• Hi Jim, enjoy your new wheels and keep the speed down until you get used to the handling, especially round corners.

I've been to Lincolnshire quite a few times when visiting my daughter in Peterborough. There are quite a few hills in Lincolnshire, especially in the Stamford area so keep in a low gear when going downhill

Yes, it's a bit of a shock to lose your mobility and future when cancer strikes, I have had the same for the last 5 years. Why us?

You're firmly a member of the family now Jim, welcome.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Glad you have new wheels. I get the macho bit though. Having done diy etc etc I have had a year of watching my wife do most of the diy and only recently has my back healed enough for me to join in.  Many times whilst the wife was painting a wall or cutting the lawn I found a tear or two running down my cheek. I am getting used to it now. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• I walk around with a stick these days. Gives me a bit of support when I am knackered and people get out of the way which is handy.

Anything that helps you Jim has got to be useful.

• a stick is a good dea. Although I’d need to learn self discipline 

• It will come in handy for non medical purposes, you are right there!

I have no problem with my legs but the zoladex just wears me out. You know what that is like YoungMan..

Leaning on the sick when I have done too much makes a real difference, you are like a tripod, bit of extra balance.

• Hi Jim, Good for you, getting the wheels you need. If I'm honest, once I realised my elbow crutches weren't enough for me and I started looking for a zimmer type thing with a seat, that didn't look like a zimmer at all! I found a red one that says NITRO on the side of it and as well as the leather seat, there is a zip going all the way round for use as storage for my bag, shopping etc. It is lightweight and had a handle on the seat you pull and it then folds in half so it can be put in the boot of the car or folded and stored out of the way in a restaurant (when they are open). In the beginning when I bought it, I used it a lot but now I know if I am going to be out for a while, I need a longer sit down to recover, so I take my wheelchair!

You have made the first move to being able to get out and about and I know how difficult that move is! Like myself, I am sure the tears shed were to say goodbye to the life you had and are now opening the next chapter! Yes we are all family here and know how you feel!

Just watch out for small stones, they get caught in the wheels and now you will realise just how uneven the pavements are! Good luck, enjoy the fresh air!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Good for you Jim. Let the new wheels take up the slack for you & save your energy for the good stuff.   I agree with  there’s no place for ego or vanity, grace & dignity are the way to go! It’s not easy but it’s self preservation. And it’s natural to feel sad as long as it doesn’t drag you down xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Hi 

You'll also find out how much a footpath slopes towards the road to allow water to run off. I sometimes find myself just using one hand furiously to keep a straight trajectory.

Tvman

Love life and family.