My cancer

• 144 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everyone, I don't post much as I never feel I have much to offer. But i would like to ask a question . I have untreatable bilateral lung cancer. I don't appear to have any symptoms (I have plenty for my other maladies) I have applied for attendance allowance on advice from my gp (she brought me the DS1500 form)  That seems to imply she thinks my time is limited. As I live alone I feel the need to get my affairs in order as much as possible. I always thought doctors won't ever give a prognosis, but is that true? Thanks for reading.

• SiT is getting carried away with his own importance, or unimportance rather, he needs to be taken down a peg or two!!!

• ALL of my pegs were removed some time ago - it's called divorce!!!

Stay Strong

SiT

• I asked for a prognosis from oncologist and he gave me one of around a year.  If I live longer that’s great but I needed to know so I can sort my affairs out asap.  Don’t regret knowing how long I may have and appreciate it’s not an exact science.  Having no treatment at the moment on onc’s advice.

• I needed a prognosis for the same reasons. Got 8 months to a year. Sorted out all the paperwork, sold my lovely Mercedes, all the family crying.

Well, so much for that,  a couple of months to go and I will have done 4 years.!

God knows the date, oncos take an educated guess.i will be surprised if he tells you and won't be surprised when you sail past that date like loads of us on here.

The best of best wishes whatever the outcome. Xxx

• To be honest my quality of life is so poor that I wouldn't mind if he said tomorrow. It's not  that I'm feeling sorry for myself, humour is still important to me. But i just hope I don't have the long drawn out experience I watched 2 lovely ladies in  my family endure last year, and another cousin is  going through right now. He too has had enough.

• That's a great result  Norberry, long may it continue.

• I am dreadfully sorry to hear you say this minimoo. Whatever happens I do so wish things can be made easier for you. I watched my best friend die of kidney cancer 3 years ago. It is an awful disease. X

• I am so sad to hear this, I hope that you can find help to improve your quality of life. When I recieved my diagnosis I was also given information about the support available in Sheffield for people with cancer. Have you tried contacting any of the numbers given? I haven't used them myself, but other friends have said that they have benefited.

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• I actually feel a bit of a fraud being here, because I have no cancer symptoms yet. It was the emphysema that led to the cancer diagnosis, and it's that which is a major problem, along with frequent eczema flareups, and a problem with facial nerves following brain surgery, and now I have arm and shoulder pain. So it is just a catalogue of little things which add up to making life a bit of a misery. And I hate telling all that because it makes me sound like a right moaning minnie, when many of you have much worse to contend with.

• The difficulty now of course is that so much is closed down due to Covid. Western Park has a wonderful support group but is closed now. I should add that I have impaired hearing so phone calls are very difficult and avoided as much as possible.