My cancer

• 144 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everyone, I don't post much as I never feel I have much to offer. But i would like to ask a question . I have untreatable bilateral lung cancer. I don't appear to have any symptoms (I have plenty for my other maladies) I have applied for attendance allowance on advice from my gp (she brought me the DS1500 form)  That seems to imply she thinks my time is limited. As I live alone I feel the need to get my affairs in order as much as possible. I always thought doctors won't ever give a prognosis, but is that true? Thanks for reading.

• Hi 

I'm so sorry for the situation you find yourself. My wife asked my haematologist straight out could he give a prognosis but he said that different people go down at different rates.  I'm starting to realise my bone marrow is failing. The team want to see me in person in 4 weeks instead of a telephone consultation.

I think a doctor will give a prognosis when pushed but won't volunteer one in case the patient doesn't want one.You're doing pretty well as regards poa etc

Don't think you're not bringing anything to the chat. You are. When this chat area is sorted I'd like you to be in among us, don't want you to be sitting on your own when there's no reason why you can't join us, I would love to have you beside us and I'm sure the rest of the guys and gals would agree. To think that someone is sitting alone tears at my heart strings. None of us want to think that so Smileywelcome, you're well and truly with us now SmileyThumbsup

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Minimoo, You mentioned about getting your affairs in order in your original post, it seems to me you already have quite a few things in place, good for you as the main things, in my opinion, are a Will and Power of Attorney! Good for you! To me it seems your GP IS Probably trying to help you to get the Allowances you need to help you with every day things rather than say you only have 6 months or less to live!   Like others have recommended I would definitely get help with filling out the FORM! Your dedicated nurse or McMillan, as others rightly say, know exactly how to fill out these forms as they can be a bit tricky!

If you have made a Will and already have POA then I take it you have named an Executor? In that case there is no need for you to worry about standing orders and direct debits. Your Executor takes a death certificate to your bank and they do the rest, so absolutely nothing for you to worry about. Going back to your Attendance Allowance, this can make things a lot easier for you. If/when you need it,you could use a small portion to pay for a cleaner, which is something I thought I'd never do but needs must! Worrying is definitely a waste of energy, so use that energy to come and chat to us all here! Just by asking a question, I'm sure you have helped someone who wanted to ask that very thing! You don't have to wish you were like others here, you are now one of us, so please update us once you have spoken to someone about filling in the form with you and let us know how you are doing!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thank you. i have had a cleaner about a year now, so the allowance would be a big help. Not  the cancer but the emphysema which make me so breathless doing the simplest things.. I  am relieved about the standing orders etc. it's such a steep learning curve, especially when I know my brain has slowed down so much. I actually used to be quite intelligent!

• Thats a bit much of SiT to say that minimoo. I have two O levels and certificates for swimming a width and playing the violin. Now I am not saying that entitles me to a BMA card but a cookie now and again can't be out of the question?

Look at SiTs picture, is that someone or something to could take advice from, I don't think so.

Anyway, you have now got really sensible people to help you along, best wishes. Xxxx

• Ooh, what is SiT, that's a new one on me.

• Thats is the user name of the person who is besmirching my honour. He has replied to you, look at the appalling picture next to the post.

We are a bit mad on here sometimes, well, most of the time. Its two fingers up to cancer, it is not going to completely ruin our lives!!

Come on SiT, own up and apologise you nuisance.

• OOH you will find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flippen
  • Don't you pick on my mate!!!!!!!!! Hahaha

Flippen
  • Popgate and SiT are a win double, interfere with one and you interfere with both. Not that I want to interfere with SiT. I think he is quiet at the moment as he is having an infusion. Hopefully of common sense! X