Memory Walk

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 69 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My brother in law was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia at the same time as I was diagnosed with incurable but treatable metastatic cancer. It was estimated that he would need full time residential care within 4 years. My prognosis after gamma knife surgery to a brain & skull tumour was 6-18 months, possibly 2 years.

That was a year ago. My BIL died last May aged 70. He went from an emergency admission to hospital into respite care & then full time care in the first 3 months of last year, & by that time we were in lockdown. Difficult times.

I signed up for the Memory Walk before I needed a wheelchair, so wasn’t sure if it would count, but it is a workout, I was knackered after the first leg yesterday. No doubt it’ll get easier, looking forward to the next bit already. I’ll post photos & updates here so I don’t highjack another thread xx

• Sula looks so cosy in her carrier/bed or whatever she is in!

That's unbelievable about FB eh! Do these people not read the posts! Is it the word maybe that gets highlighted!!! 

SIGH INDEED! The world is going mad!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

We’ve finished!!! Didn’t take Sula today as she doesn’t like the heat. My friend came up from Cambridge to ride shotgun (allowed because of my prognosis) I bumped into my karate sensei & it turned  out Carrie knew his son, they worked together at Aviva for years, small world. Everyone was relaxed & kind, we thought the coast would be too busy & apparently it was mobbed so good call. It’s been a massive learning curve & there were tears today when I lost control of the chair, but I nailed reversing by the end of the day Blush

So grateful for support, the sponsors, the opportunity to be out and about in a stunning location. Absolutely knackered now and planning a few quiet days. Nearly 40 miles & £3500 Speechless xx

• Brilliant, enjoy your peace and quiet for the next few days, and I'm sure Sula will enjoy the colder temperatures.

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• Tinalay, that is some adventure. Eat an Easter egg or three, washed down with some wine and refuse all calls for a week. To raise that much for your friend is extraordinary. It will make a reai difference I am sure. And well done Sula, she should have a relax too. Xxxx

• Hi Tinalay (&Sula), Very well done indeed. As Norberry said that will make a huge difference!

I am thrilled for you and relieved for me, I was worried you might overdo it a bit but it sounded like an adventure not to be missed! I am so glad you shared it with us, thanks. R&R for the long weekend!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Tinalay

What a fantastic worthwhile cause and achievement. Well done you and Sula. So glad you recognised Sula's limitations and didn't push the wee darling. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Don’t worry  we’re going to have a quiet weekend xx

• Sorry , I mistakenly wrote your dog's name as Sila in the last post but I have edited it now to Sula. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Well having flooded social media with Sula, myself and our support team it's time to take a step back. Our revised goal was 26 miles and £2,600. Today we're at 40'miles and £3685 obviously a subject close to many hearts. Thinking of all the families who deal with this appalling illness on a daily basis, and grateful for the support and every donation to such a worthwhile cause. Thank you, thank you, thank you xx