Gardens and gardening 2021

• 253 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I love it when the first signs of Spring are appearing. This, apart from tête a tête daffodils, the lovely star daffodil below is my first one in the garden this year, and before St. David's Day! And a beautiful, almost cloudless, sunny day yesterday.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

• Thanks Stuart. If you're growing any brassicas ie cabbages, cauliflowers etc, pigeons may be your main problem. They just love the taste of young plants and it looks like slugs have been busy. Once they get a little larger the pigeons diet changes and they go elsewhere so I would really advise some type of cover like netting which is best put high above the brassicas or else they poke through the netting. 

You could always use fleece draped over the brassicas but lift it now and again to look for slugs and snails. The fleece also acts to increase the temperature below and gives a great result as in my photo below. 

Good luck Stuart

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • You are way ahead of me but I haven’t got a greenhouse.

good weather for getting outside right now x

Ruth 

• Goodness, I am not expecting anything that big. I'll measure for netting today. It's gone misty and cold up here again, so not a good day for doing much in the garden.

Stuart x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Galilee

And the T20 is on with a nice cuppa - enjoy!!! 

• T20 or interfering with some root vegetables, let's hear that whack of leather on willow. Actually that sounds a bit iffy!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

And of course, sounds quite different from the thwack of willow (was birch in my day...) on Norbs - OOooohhh... Matron!!!

• Or the Gold Cup to see the latest brilliant jockey, Rachel Blackmore. Racing isn't a Go to sport for me but credit where credit's due!

One of my bucket list is to go to a race meeting to sample the atmosphere. There's one quite close to me at Downpatrick Race Course, only 12 miles away. 

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Hi everyone

Well, this is what I have had to do because of a rabbit. Just imagine what state any of these beds would be in if a kangaroo jumped over the wire. I'm thinking about Pet in Australia when I'm saying that. Anyone heard from him lately?

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • My husband makes wooden frames covered with plastic 

Ruth 

• I enjoyed watching Rachel Blackmore she and Ireland did very well at Christmas x

Ruth