Gardens and gardening 2021

• 253 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I love it when the first signs of Spring are appearing. This, apart from tête a tête daffodils, the lovely star daffodil below is my first one in the garden this year, and before St. David's Day! And a beautiful, almost cloudless, sunny day yesterday.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

• That’s true. My dog Oliver likes to lie in the garden 

Ruth 

• He looks lovely x

Sarah 

• anyone else Tomatoes doing really rubbish this year? first time we have grown them but quantity is very low and nothing very big yet either

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Ours are starting to flourish, but we've not done the proper pinching out, so there are more leaves than fruit! 

Sarah 

• I think that’s our problem too

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi. same here. Always do well with my tomatoes but not this year. All my Sungolds perished in the greenhouse. They had a sort of stem blight thing, but underneath each plant I found ants - there are lots of those in the garden this year - all over the grass (I won't call it a lawn as that would be rather misleading - it's an old field! ) I also bought some anti-blight ones and they're doing better but only green fruit so far.

• Has anyone tried growing aubergines or sweet peppers? I told myself a few years ago that I wouldn't waste time with them any more. They need a very long growing season and usually for us in more northerly position they don't ripen in time.

I didn't take heed and grew them this year, and so far I've picked one ripe pepper and have a few more on the plant, one of which is red (see top photo)

I've picked a couple of aubergines and there are more on the plant (see 2nd photo). I have 4 aubergine plants and two sweet pepper plants.

Dug some potatoes tonight for dinner, they have a little pink splash on them and the variety is Kestrel, (see 3rd photo) Very nice indeed they were. I picked them at 6pm and we were eating them at 7pm. 

Tvman x

Love life and family.
  • We have one yellow pepper plant and one red, neither plant has grown more than 8 inches tall. The yellow has one large pepper on it and the red one has several small ones on it

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Brilliant aubergine x

Ruth 

• Our potatoes got eaten by red ants !

Ruth