DS1500 form query

• 62 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi, I’ve requested a reassessment for PIP via report a change in circumstances option. I already receive daily living standard rate due to a long standing disability. Whilst I await  the assessment form I was wordering  whether anyone had been awarded high rate csre and/or mobility using DS1500 form and not having 6 months or less to live prognosis?  I’m on palliative chemo with a prognosis of 0-5% chance of living 1-5 years.  Older posts I’ve searched for are mainly some years old. Thanks 

• Hello Jayne.

I kept most of the money as I had a new car and just chose free car tax You can buy a brand new car with all sorts of insurance and servicing offers and you will still have money left over instead of giving the lot to Motobility. Have a check into it with someone who can look into the ifs and buts.

My best friend just wanted a new car with no future worries so to him it was worthwhile.

• Hello Norberry, I hadn’t thought about that! However I’ve told my teenage daughter that we’d be getting a new car for the first  time, ha! Jayne 

• Hi Jayne

I have had a mobility car for a few years, the one I currently have is my second and I'm now considerating my third although there's 13 months before my next one.

Motability is a charity that will take your payment for higher rate mobility payment in return for a new car every 3 years. Motability will also take part of the payment for a mobility scooter should you choose that option.

Of course there are basic new cars and more expensive ones that have more features. Now should you choose a high end car, then things are slightly different, you wouldn't expect to have a car that costs twice as much for the same payment, in this case then there is an upfront payment which may be £500 or several thousand pounds. If you go on to the Motability website you can search for different cars and each upfront payment is listed. 

Now I am in the scheme I am well satisfied. Before I choose my next one however, I am going to investigate the deals that are available from different manufacturers although not all are 3 year deals and I don't know of any that will give across the board total  repairs such as new tyres, total breakdown recovery, free insurance for up to two named drivers above the age of twenty something as well as yourself and also such things as are considered general wear and tear components like new windscreen wipers and light bulbs although you need to go to a main dealer for those, you can't go to a motor parts store, get a receipt and expect to be reimbursed!. 

Each main dealer will have a dedicated, trained Motability salesperson who will guide you through the different options and they also have a list of all upfront payments for different levels of cars. The upfront payment lasts for 3 years. In addition, if you take care of your car and avoid prangs, at the end of the 3 years when you hand your car back in good condition, you will receive a payment which is currently £500 which is redeemable for upfront payment for your next car.. No penalty also for a high mileage which is the case for car dealers' own deals. 

For me, the Motability option is ideal, I get a new car and have complete peace of mind for 3 years until I get another new car. My cancer doesn't have a prognosis, as my haematologist says, different people go down at different rates. I have been fortunate so far but there is an evident long term depreciation of my bone marrow. It is failing slowly but hey ho!

Good luck with your choice, Jayne.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • You enjoy your new car Jayne and make sure your daughter knows her duty will be to keep it clean in return for taxying provided by Mum. X

• Thanks a lot Tvman! From quickly looking at finance deals, only the small cars proved to be cheaper than using the mobility allowance and that was without all the extras! X 

• Haha! I’ll try that one 

• Haha! I’ll try that one 

• I have untreatable bilateral lung cancer, and am trying to apply for attendance allowance on form DS1500. My question is, how can you know if you have 6 months or less to live? Doctors won't commit themselves to a time scale.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to minimoo

Hey Minimoo

Get in touch with your CNS who will help or Speak with the MacM team on here - either or both should be able to help...

Best of luck

SiT