Don't mention the bus!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I'm sure between us we could write a book on what not to say to someone with a terminal diagnosis. 

"We're all going to die"

"I could be hit by a bus tomorrow"

are fairly high on my list, along with "what's going to happen to your dog?" and "have you lost all the hair down below?" (why do you ask???)

My sister was very upset by something my cousin said to me yesterday, "we're all terminal"

We're all mortal. There's a huge difference between being mortal and being told that advanced metastatic cancer is progressing and likely to be the cause of your death in a matter of months.

We're all going to die but hopefully most of us will not be having treatment that makes us very sick, invasive tests and the constant threat of complications hanging over us.

Depending on your source the chances of being hit by a bus are 1 in 3.2 million.

We all appreciate that it's hard and sometimes impossible to say the right thing, and that sometimes people blurt, but some of these throw away comments that trivialise what we're experiencing should be gently put to rest.

We're all in the same storm, we are not in the same boat. xx

• I see, I understand admin dilemma, if violence is never acceptable, it shouldn’t be up to admin to determine whether said violence is meant in jest or not, it pedantic but if there is a grey area I can understand the thinking.

I’m pretty sure given our health situation none of us would be really up to violence, but it would reflect pretty badly on this wonderful charity if the perception was the charity supported it. Also these days so much talk is excused as it’s only in jest, or another thread got away with it...   no matter the frustrations I think this moderation is preferable to well meaning posts taken out of context or misconstrued 

• You are right  a case of "don't shoot the messenger" (am I allowed to say that?)

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Good point well made . I think many of us use humour to deal with the challenges we face, and we all have a different threshold for what’s acceptable. 
    xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

welcome to the group, your post made me laugh, I hope I’ll remember the ‘automatic exemption’ comment for when it’s next needed.

you’re absolutely right, people are strange for all the reasons you said. If someone is jaw droppingly rude in future I’ll let my jaw drop & let them know how it sounded.

I think we’re all agreed that people aren’t intentionally hurtful but as a society we’re not great at talking about these life changing events.

I was introduced to a total stranger once as, ‘this is Tina, she had terminal cancer.’ The lady said ‘Life can be cruel’ and we moved on. Blush Perfect.
    xx

• Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that we've responded to your posts around some recent moderation here in another discussion thread, if you would like to take a look. Please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us at community@macmillan.org.uk if there's anything we can do to support you or if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team

• Hi Binbag, I've just read your post and wanted to welcome you to the Group, I'm pleased you decided to contribute. It usually takes a few months before that happens or longer as you know' I've just read your profile and see you've been through a bit already! Hang in there!

Honesty is the best policy for sure! Meant to say! Love your motto. I think most of us in adversity reach for the stars!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thank you Annette and everyone else for such a lovely warm welcome. I’ve been a lurker here for a while but was in dire need of a humour injection (as if I need any more injections Doh) and the banter here does make me smile. Little did I know that the naughty corner was going to be overflowing by the end of the evening for I still don’t know what reason. I was so disappointed as I was looking forward to sitting on Norberrys knee for a natter. I hope the moderators will see that this group has different needs to some of the other sections of the community. It’s a scientific fact that that humour is a psychological coping mechanism when there really isn’t very much chance of escape by any other means. It’s exactly why the sayings about “laughing in the face of adversity” are so well know by everyone. Anyway, whatever, as a newby in this group, the only messages I found upsetting were the ones from Admin (especially the one mentioning “not wanting to censor” but doing it anyway) and the heartfelt messages from clearly distressed group members. Please do come back soon!

And yep, Annette, I’m hoping tickets will still be available for the Great Gig In The Sky when the time is right Blush. My love to all xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thank you YoungMan, nice to meet you xx

• Hello again Binbag. I am sorry our potential relationship fizzled out. I quite often go loopy to a fair degree, have second thoughts about everything by which time all the damage is done.

You can read my latest ramblings on Cancelled 14. You may want to back out of the knee nooky when you have read that.

YoungMan also cannot be trusted. I have just confided in him concerning my latest treatment. He made a poor joke and then attempted to win you over. 

It didn't use to be like it here!