I'm new to the group

• 37 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi,

Thank you for letting me join your group, it is lovely to see that some people manage to be active members for much longer than expected!

I am currently on my second cycle of chemo, I originally expected to have 3 cycles, but they decided they needed a new baseline because of the delay between original CT and starting treatment (71 days) so now I'll be having 4 cycles before review.

I find the two hardest things so far are

1. the physical isolation from my friends and family due to the pandemic.
  2. the short fuse I have developed; I was trying out a new skill the other day, it wasn't going well and I totally lost my rag which is not usual for me.

Best wishes 

Salis

• Hi Salis, A Warm Welcome to this Group,! I call it the Incourageables, people here have a lot of courage and it doesnt take long to encourage them to relax and get to know people they have never seen but are soon virtual friends!                I think SiT and Norberry have demonstrated that fine! Thanks guys! Tvman i see welcomed you twice then added another post. Now thats what i call a welcome! As you asked about the vote up button, when it was a "like" button, if you read the post and liked the content, you presses the button, although you maybe had nothing to add by way of reply, it let the person posting know you had read it. However when the site was Upgraded recently it was changed because if someone was saying what a terrible day they had, it didnt seem appropriate to click Like. It's not used as much as the like button was though.

To be honest, I think a lot of people have been through the "anger" thing. I put it down to frustration and fear of the unknown. It seems to be the silly things that set us off, like people argueing about unimportant things and before diagnosis we probably just let it go. Since dx we realise what REALLY matters and fly off the handle because they just don't "get it".

Here we all "GET IT" here is where we come when we don't want to worry our husbands, family and friends. Even the dogs, as im sure they can tell when you are out of sorts! By the way, I'm one of the few who don't have a pet!

I'm off back to bed, as I haven't slept yet, so i will do a couple of online jigsaws (it'sa great free app), read my Kindle and hope to get a few hours sleep. Looking out the window is like a picture postcard, there is thick snow everywhere.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette,,

It must be hard not to be able to sleep. Lovely for you to see the snow. We had a sprinkling and it did look very pretty for a day. Sometimes I like the cold especially when going for a walk and the sun is shining.

I also do the jigsaw app which I find satisfying. Someone sent me a 1000 piece jigsaw for Christmas and it took me about a week to complete but it was nice to do a real jigsaw.

now we are in lockdown again I have made apple crumble and custard which is lovely in the cold weather and my husband likes to make soup.

simple pleasures is what we have now. At least the vaccine and the warm weather is part of our future to look forward to. I think I have stabilised my disease so feel well enough to plan ahead for the future.

love Ruth xxx

Ruth 

• Hi Salis, and a warm welcome from me too. The Duodenal forum is quite quiet at the moment, so hopefully you wont feel quite as isolated here. I think a short fuse is acceptable for what you are going through, although like Norberry, I can blame mine on my hormone treatment. I've been an incurable for 6 years now, and this year with the pandemic, I can say has been the most mentally draining for me. In the first lockdown I bought myself a sewing machine. I have never sewed before, but with the help of online videos, I have taken up quilting. Some days I can do this quite successfully, other days I just do not have the patience, and I have to put it away. 

I am lucky that I live with my partner and my youngest daughter, but like TV man worrying that his wife had to work, and what she may bring home, both my partner and daughter are still working, even through this lockdown.  My daughter had her first covid vaccine last week, and was expecting the 2nd dose next week. This has now been cancelled, and I'm not sure if this is the correct decision. But hopefully these vaccines will be rolled out soon for us all, and we can get back to what is normal for us. 

Annette I hope you managed some sleep. I do get envious when people say they have snow. I've not seen one little snow flake this year. And I'm sure this would of been the perfect year to have snow, when I can't actually go anywhere.

Have a good day everyone.

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • like so many others, it feels so wrong to welcome anyone to our group. The diagnosis affects us all un different ways. It's good to hear the feelings we experience are shared, I can understand the short fuse although for me that related to work more than home life. I've certainly been learning to be kinder to myself. Feel free to rant, scroll past threads that are not useful to you and contribute as and when you see fit. 

I'm appreciating that this is a marathon and to take things day by day

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today a gift

• Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome to the group.

Sarah 

• Hi salis, I'm also new to the group although I have been lurking around for a few months. This is a wonderful group for support and as everybody says not everything is doom and gloom. Just wanted you to know that I am experiencing the same feelings you with incredible intense anger. Where it came from I don't know as I'm normally quite a patient person and coped with my original diagnosis just feeling a bit miffed. I know the body goes through a range of emotions but honestly, I really frightened myself with the intense feelings of rage I felt. I think it may have stemmed from a junior doctor just blurting out my scan diagnosis trying to be helpful..her bedside manner really did need some serious attention..once I had picked myself up from the floor(although I was in bed at the time) . I was previously told my cancer had gone so it came as a bit of a shock to learn it was back with vengeance to say the least. Happy to report the anger is beginning to subside but like you, I find my patience has been compromised and I lose it, especially when things are not going to plan first time...all part of life I suppose! Lovely to meet everyone on here. Lamb.

• Hi salis welcome to the group you will get great support on here 

Flippen
  • Hi chellesimo welcome to the group you will get great support on here

Flippen
  • Hi Little lamb. It is not possible to behave and act normally, with such news and with what is happening to you.

I think a lot of these feelings subside with time, they did for me to a fair degree. I can still get excited very quickly but am able to calm down equally as quickly.,

(sometimes not!)

It is hard when we experience a medical professional behaving so badly. We were brought up to believe they can do no wrong but they are human just like us but with a university degree or two so they get it wrong sometimes. Because we go to hospital or the doctors a lot more than a normal person does, the odds are we will come across an imperfect one now and then.

Best wishes. Can I say regards to Mary?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Dear Little Lamb

First of all - welcome to our little group of incorrigibles - sad you have to be here but we'll try to help you make the best of it...

I think in the circumstances, the odd little tantrum is acceptable...

& Norbs... Mary? really???

LL - don't pay any attention to him as he is fixated on his childhood and the nursery rhymes of yore... It's all he ever speaks about. We must take pity on him and try to drag him up to date... Or not!

Stay Strong

SiT