New to it all

• 18 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hello

I have recently been diagnosed with untreatable lung cancer. Emphysema has apparently wrecked my lungs to such an extent that no treatment is possible. Although it is at an early stage and I don't have symptoms I am under no illusions that things can only get worse. It doesn't help that I live alone, and my nearest relative is my sister (she is also vulnerable being in cancer remission herself)

Covid 19 appears to be on the rise again and I am dreading having to go into lockdown again.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  so sorry to meet you in these circumstances, you must still be in shock. Welcome to the group, you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here, and you'll meet people who have been living with incurable cancer for many years.

I share your dread of another lockdown. I made the mistake of taking a break from this group last time because I felt very low, and really missed the company and comradary that I haven't found anywhere else.

It does get easier to live in the moment and not worry about the things we have no control over. I hope your lung cancer will stay at the early stage with no symptoms for a long time and you and your sister will have the chance to spend precious time together.

xx

• Hi there I live alone myself so I know exactly how you are feeling it is very frightening to be on your own and trying to deal with everything and the threat of lockdown and for you to have a sister in remission another added worry but fear not you will have fantastic support on here whenever you need us day or night the gang of people on here will always help you along whenever you need us so use us as much as you need to big hugsxxx

Flippen
  • Thank you, it was a shock. For now, the  emphysema is my biggest problem, I have a cleaner as housework left me wheezing and gasping. I only go out for medical appointments or occasional food shopping forays. I do use online food deliveries but have not been at all impressed with the service. So it is the lack of human contact that is scary.  I don't sleep well so waking hours are very long and need to be filled.

• Thank you, there is nothing like being amongst friends who totally understand the issues we are facing.

• Hi 

Welcome to the group minimoo although I'd prefer to have met you elsewhere. You'll find a lot of support and friendship here. 

So sorry to hear you've had to join our group. Having emphysema must be a terrible struggle for you and I can understand that housework can make you wheezing and gasping for breath. I have a friend who goes to the same MacMillan exercise group that I go to and he can only do a little exercise before he has to sit out for a while because he can't go any further.. It's bad enough having emphysema but now you have lung cancer thrown into the mix. As you say the cancer has given you no symptoms yet, I hope it's a long time before it even begins to cause a problem. 

Now there's a possibility of another lockdown or even a choice for vulnerable people to begin shielding again which is the option that I will go for because I, like you and others, am terrified of catching the virus. I have a blood cancer, MDS, and I have little fight against infection so for me, catching Covid 19 would probably be fatal. For 5 months my wife my son and I coped with ordering groceries and household needs online. We still order online and although it's not perfect, it's not far off. Occasionally something isn't available but that can be the case if you physically go shopping anyway. 

Whatever happens minimoo, there's always someone around to have a yarn with or if you want to have a rant without criticism there is The Room.

At the risk of repeating myself minimoo, welcome to the group.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Thank you for your lovely kind words. You know, I feel arms closing round me, even virtual hugs can have a powerful effect in these awful times. I will have to investigate the Room, nothing like a good rant to clear your mind! I am waiting to be assessed to see if I could benefit from ambulatory oxygen, but nothing happening yet.

• Hi Minimoo, A Warm Welcome to the Group! You may live alone but now you have joined this terrific group, I hope you will never feel alone again! There's usually someone around to talk to, even during the night when you can't sleep! Some members live on a different time line and our night is their day and a few of us don't sleep well and are Night Owls. I use an iPad and there is a great Jigsaw App that is free to download and it gives you one free jigsaw every day! I love it at this time of night. That and my Kindle. Until I was diagnosed, I didn't read much but now I read a lot particularly in the wee small hours!

I wonder what your interests are, as there will always be someone with similar interests to talk to. As TVman says there is The Room but there is also a Gardening Post that has been going for a while and there are a few experts (TVman being one and MCLkid another) to help you with problems. Do you have a garden or window box?

Well, I hope to see you post and take part in discussion. Everybody needs somebody ( Q for a song!)  to talk too!

Sending you a virtual (((hug))).

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Minimoo..i'm glad you found the way to us here for some comfort. Yes you can offload all trouble here and there is always someone who listens , i hope you will get that Oxygen soon and it will make it easier for you. Fingers crossed, and a big hug for you. Pet

• Hi, my main interest is definitely tracing my family history, interspersed with doing jigsaws, crosswords and reading. I don't find much of interest on tv except animal and history programmes. I was never a very active person but did love walking in the park and feeding the squirrels. I can't do that now as I get out of breath so quickly. I live in an upstairs flat so no garden but I do have a nice view with lots of greenery. I have much to be thankful for compared to some people and I try to count my blessings. Thank you for your lovely post.

• Thank you, hugs back for you. I need to contact my gp on another problem so I will raise the oxygen issue again. I know the virus has made things difficult for the NHS but there surely has to be some ongoing care for non Covid patients. I am waiting for new hearing aids which I am buying because I can't get my NHS ones repaired.