Consultation withnew Oncologist

• 18 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hello everyone,

I thought that I would give an update on the appointment I had yesterday, which went very well.

It was a very informative meeting which lasted 40minutes. The next step for me is to have a CT scan next week so that they can measure what goes on once the chemo commences.The chemo regime is carbo/gemzar which will be six cycles and hopefully start in approx.  three weeks time. So the 1st day will be carbo/gemzar,then on the 8th day gemzar on its own,followed by thirteen days respite. 

There is cancer on the momental cake (as they call it) & at present I am feeling quite breathless as there is fluid build up around my spleen,which they will drain after the CT scan.

Unfortunately I cannot walk to far now, but try to do things around the house & in the garden.

If the carbo/gemzar works I will then be put onto a maintenance drug,so fingers crossed that this regime actually works. If it gives me a bit more time that will be great,& hopefully the pain I am in will subside.

Take care all,

Georgette xx

• Hi That certainly sounds like a worthwhile meeting with your new Consultant. Great things are being put into place for your future treatment! I hope when they drain the fluid, you will be able to breathe easier. Yes it's normal for them to order CT scans etc before you start any new treatment so they can see the progress (we hope) you've made when they do the next one, after you have had some of the treatment! It gives them a bench mark! Until that time it's not worth worrying because you will make yourself anxious but it won't change the outcome. It's not easy at first but as we are always saying in this group, just try to take each day as it comes. 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi

You sound really upbeat after that meeting. I’m not surprised. It must feel good to have such a clear plan in place. What a great new oncologist Blush

xxx

• Hi Annette,

Thank you for your kind reply. I am trying hard not to worry to much about the treatment, but I am hoping that it will work, but of course realise this is not always the case.

I am hoping to get out a bit more before I start chemo,as I am sure I will be apprehensive,due to catching bugs and covid etc. Since all this started I have not even been to the bank,so now I have little cash,although most of my groceries,etc are delivered thankfully.

Take care,

Love Georgette xx

• Hi Daloni,

Thanks for your reply,& yes I am trying to stay positive, but realise there is always a possibility that the treatment may not work, but if that is the case I will cross that bridge when I get there.

I was actually dreading changing to another Oncologist, but found this new one to be so open & she went back to February when my bowel problem started which was followed by the colonoscopy. She is the lead Onc.in gynaecology,& the chair for the MDT,but previously a Consultant at a cancer centre.

Anyway,  hope that your treatment is going ok for you.

Take care, Love Georgette.xx

• Hi  I think that's a very good idea going out, even for a walk, before your chemo starts. It is amazing how different things look when you can hear the birds singing, breathe in fresh air and even see other people from a distance! Enjoy your outings!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi

I have started taking a few outings to interact with the world as well. I haven’t been in a big shop since March. I’ve popped in to the little Waitrose at the garage nearby once or twice. But that’s been about it. I can feel my anxiety about getting back out into the world rising as well. Yesterday my sister and I went to our local farm shop. It is catastrophically expensive as a shopping venue, but they do also have some really nice goods.  We stocked up on treats. 

I agree with Annette about the value of being outside. I have found my mood sinking recently and I think at least part of that is down to the fact that I stopped taking my daily walk. The fatigue has been really grim since I started the chemo and I’m not able to walk the dog. So it’s almost been if I can’t walk the dog, then I won’t bother to go out. That’s been a mistake. During the winter when my daughter was at school  during daylight hours, I had to get out with the dog. No choice. I know that really helped my mood. So from now on, there will be a daily walk no matter how short. 

Have a lovely day whatever it is you decide to do. 

Xxx

• Hi Daloni,

I am pleased that you are now getting out & about & really lovely to get yourself some treats as that I find gives you a boost.

As I know myself it makes such a difference to my mood as well. In the past two to three weeks I have found walking locally a struggle as we live on a hill,& I have felt quite breathless.Anyway this morning we ventured down to the sea front & there is an excellent walking area there & of course it is on the level, so I feel so much better now.

Once I start chemo no doubt I will be similar to you at times.& it is hard to get motivated, but I must try to walk.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend if you can.

xxx

• Hi 

When I was in my early teenage years I used to spend summers at a cottage right at the edge of the beach which is when my love for walks at the shoreline developed. 

Stop press! We've just seen a fox in the garden, it walked uphill to my plot and out into the field behind and over the hill out of sight.

I love to sit watching the sea, waves crashing down onto the rocks. It's mesmerising, a scene constantly changing. A developing back problem put me into a wheelchair 4 months or so after my cancer diagnosis, a scenario which was difficult in my life at the time, a double whammy. The fox was sitting outside our bedroom window and I couldn't get out of bed quickly enough to get a photo, it's a youngish cub, with a tail that looks like someone has painted the last few inches white. I no longer can take a walk along a beach which is a pity but yes I agree with you, Daloni and Annette that going for a daily walk is good for the mind and body. 

Carry on walking Georgette.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I went to school at Bridlington on the East Coast and used to enjoy going for walks along the beach.

In the winter of 1999 I got my job in Scarborough and rented a holiday flat on the north bay from November to early April 2000.  I was on the fourth floor with a gorgeous view over the bay.  I used to have my morning coffee standing with my arms on the windowsill (it was quite a high window) watching the surfers and enjoying the fresh air.

However, I am always at my happiest when nicely wrapped up watching the big storms come in. When I was in the flat I used to put my coat and hat on and upon the window just enough that I could put my head out when the storms were rolling in from the north west as this pushed them straight into the bay.  So powerful and dramatic, I was at the top of a building which was at the top of a cliff, so high enough to see the waves and sea spray without being affected by it, just the rain.  Absolutely stunning and so dramatic, beautiful.

Gragon xx

• Hi TVman,,

Like you I also love to watch the sea, and walk along the coast line as it is so refreshing. 

Wild life is so interesting, and it is great to live in the country, which we used to until about 18months ago,and now live in a built up area, as I wanted to be closer to the hospital,as I knew this pesky disease would return at some point & where we used to live was an hour and a half to two hour journey to the hospital. Fortunately we have lovely neighbours & everything is so much more accessible.

We are lucky really as by brother-in-law & his wife live in an old farmhouse in the country which is about 35minutes from & they have the most stunning views. One way they look over a deer farm which is really nice.

I am sorry that you are in a wheelchair, which is not easy, but you sound as if you are certainly coping & have at least interested yourself in things that are in your eye view.

Thank you for responding to me I really appreciate it.

Take care, & keep the wild life interest up.

Georgette xx