Who Are We?

• 26 replies
  • 45 subscribers

One of those daft thoughts that went round my head when I couldn't sleep this morning, I only know most of you through your/our cancers which is such a narrow part of who we are so I wondered if you would share a little of the other bits of you.

I am a former nurse and environmental scientist. My ideal lifestyle is as a smallholder, I did it for a few years but sadly I am now no longer physically up to it, the farm animals are gone and I shall have to cultivate runner beans instead. I used to ride motorbikes for fun and my vices include a glass of Baileys, bacon sarnies with brown sauce and perfect desert would be a decent trifle.

The hobby I never got to do was study herbalism and probably a bit late now.

• Hi Daloni

Hope you had a comfortable night at least as comfortable as you could expect. 

Ok, I like you, have a few health problems, yet I feel happy with my lot. My alcohol consultant seems content with my progress and I can put it down mainly to being confined to home. I hope it continues and in fact I am just outside the recommended weekly amount. As I say, I'm happy with my lot.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

I can feel the pain and echo much of it I really wanted to have those retirement years with my hubby and feel cheated at times. I however can also add that I waited so long to get my dog even picked the breed and had hubby on board with lots of coaxing. Then my grand daughter arrived ( she is adopted) and all changed as her early days had involved things no child should experience. She is doing so very well now and I can't bear to think of how she was not loved as she should have been. One of her problems is not just a fear but a rational phobia of dogs and so we got a grand daughter but had to drop the idea of a dog. Good swap but I would have liked both. 

Enjoy your dog 

• So sorry to hear about your granddaughters life pre your family, but I'm SO pleased she's found you and your children and joined your family now!

Might I put forward a case for a kitten, since a puppy is out of the question? It might not take you out on walks - well, it might if you train it to walk on a lead as mine do - but it will definitely give you the love, companionship, cuddles, and laughter that a dog would.

I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have mine!

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Good morning daloni. I hope you are having an incredibly brilliant time at home surrounded by love and care.I do so hope that you have beaten the pain or at least you are on an upward path. It seems a very selfish thing to ask for an update so I thought I would ask on behalf of your followers. Makes you sound like a yogi, I think you are!

Dont reply if you are asleep.  Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Good afternoon!

I am indeed at home and having a brilliant time surrounded by love. I am dressed for the first time in the best part of a. week. I’m slightly stronger than yesterday, able to move around the house a little bit more and look after myself just that bit better. I was able to sit up long enough to start a new jigsaw puzzle with my little one this morning.

I had some very nasty breakthrough pain over the night but luckily my big girl found me and was able to rescue me from diving down the pain hole before I got to the bottom of it. The other one I had to drag myself from. Does anyone else here know what I mean about the pain hole and having to get yourself out of it?

I had some very good consultations with my healthcare professionals yesterday. My amazing GP gave me a full 45 minutes on the telephone. We’ve sorted out how to secure a supply of the liquid pain relief over the next few days. I’m really happy that I won’t be running out.  He says it will realistically be a week before we can expect to see a significant shift in the pain. Somehow knowing that is both irksome and cheering. I can stop myself becoming downhearted if I don’t see immediate improvement but I can also look forward to some change and have a realistic deadline. The  hospice organised to send over a shower stool so that I can sit down when I have a shower. That’s already arrived.

I also made contact with my oncologist at the trials unit. The events that led up to my hospitalisation have got to be reported as a “serious adverse event”. It’s quite interesting. I was on the second of three sub parts of a phase 1 trial looking into a drug that interferes with the DNA repair. My phase looked at efficacy- does it work?  The next sub phase of the trial is to introduce radiotherapy alongside the drug, the theory being that the trial drug makes tumours more susceptible to radiotherapy. So for me to have had such a rapid and serious radiotherapy flareup immediately after taking the trial drug does raise questions. I doubt I shall be privy to any answers, but the thought that I might prevent this happening to someone else is quite cheering.

Does this count as taking it easy? Probably not. It didn’t require any movement but of course it required a lot of thinking and quite a lot of emotional input. I feel safer for having done all this and I feel ready to face what is coming up and put some backbone into the recovery phase. My cleaning lady is coming tomorrow and the gardener will be here at the weekend to do the grass (hark at Lady Muck. It’s what I choose to spend my PIP on). Life is beginning to take some of its normal shape back on, thank goodness.

I hope you all are finding some joy in this day. It’s always in there somewhere if we can just look 

xxx

• Glad you are home and having a good day with your family 

xxx

Ruth