Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

tvman, what a beautiful garden.  What beautiful trees, associated with lovely memories.

Take good are.

B.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks . They are truly beautiful trees. And you even managed to get a horse’s arse into the picture Joy

I have had a nice day. I’m not able to do much but I enjoyed the sunshine on this beautiful day and started another jigsaw puzzle with my daughter. This time it’s a zodiac puzzle in black and white so although it’s only 500 pieces, it’s very tricky. 

xx

• Hi B, I was pleased to read you are taking each day as it comes! The trouble with Mr Google is he is very much out of date so don't believe it, things are better than that these days, I'm very happy to say!!  It's also great you have a good Team behind you, that's essential!

I'm glad you consider Daloni as a friend! I do hope you consider us all here as your friends too!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi, anndanv. 

I do indeed!  All of you have become my friends, my community.  

Thank you for your reassurances.  I may start a new thread with my questions.  

• Hi  That's just what to do, just make a list of your questions on your new thread and I'm sure everyone will try to answer what they can. I'll look out for it as I don't get all the notifications from the group. 

Of course you could always phone the Helpline on here, it's free being 0800  so you could try that too. They are very knowledgeable so any medical type questions, that's who to ask! Or if it is something specific why not click "ask an expert" at the top of the page (2 along from the Home button)?

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thanks Tvman for the beautiful photos! Nature carries on regardless. 

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Morning all, another beautiful sunny day here but quite a breeze.

your photos are stunning, thanks for sharing them. Your garden looked like a wonderful haven, just beautiful.

I know gardners work incredibly hard to get these results and it's often a long term investment so all credit to you.

xx

• Hey daloni,

Sorry it's taken me some time to reply here, but I couldn't read it on the phone properly, had some issues, and just wasn't in the right headspace.... aka, my head has been up my bum! So my apologies for taking so long to say, "Well, shit!"

I'm still on the first post, so I'm hoping that things are better for you now pain-waise, but I'll see what's said as I read on. Pain is def something that needs managed as it's so distracting, to put it mildly, and ruins all sorts of things that you could maybe manage otherwise.

Hmmmm, going to have to disagree on the choice your eldest made though. She'd made a commitment to be with her friend and had she left, her friend would have been on her own. You and your youngest at least had each other. So from my own perspective, I'd say she did make the mature choice. Obviously not the choice you or the youngest wanted, and possibly not her top choice either, but I think it was the right one. But then, we all know I think I little differently to others!

Ha Gragon! Great minds!

Hooray for showers and cheese on toast! I bet that felt nice, well, both of them! Nice warm water on your skin and then a nice warm comforting feeling in your tummy! Sounds like something has been done about the pain then? Sorry to hear you're thinking of revisiting the move, I know how much you were looking forward to it and all that it meant for the future.

So does that make you very, very, very vulnerable then if you've had 3 letters?

*Eyes the date* 18th for the quarantine, so not too long to go then! She'll be home at the weekend I guess? That will be nice for all of you! Get in some nice bits and pieces, then shut the door on the world and just be together for the weekend, with hopefully no animosity for the delay in her return!

Good old Noodle, keeping everything safe and 'right'. Bad wee Noodle, waking you on your first uninterrupted night!

Hello ! Welcome welcome!

My tulips are all up and opening one by one, so I'm definitely enjoying the sight of them! However, I have discovered that I am infested with vine weevil grubs!!! So I'm going to be waging war upon them, as soon as the nematodes and chemicals arrive! Must save the fig tree!

So Mrs! How goes things today? I'm hoping you're getting the glorious weather we've got here on Yorkshire rather than the freezing weather my parents have in Edinburgh? I do hope the pain is under control, and if not, send some my way! Pretty sure I can cope with some more if it will lessen your burden! Now, wouldn't that be an awesome futuristic business opportunity! Transfer your pain - emotional or physical - to someone else for a set number of hours for a price per hour! Pretty sure that business would be booming!!

If there's anything I can do, then please do shout. The offer is always there for whatever I can manage from here that might be a help!

Take care of yourself and your family!

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi

You made me laugh. That’s as much as I want from any friend 

xx

• Excellent  that was the aim of the post! So I'm pleased. 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.