Things to do while self isolating, adults and kids!

• 48 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Figured I'd start a thread and compile a list of things people are doing, or have found to do, while self-isolating. I figure that the more ideas and options there are in one place, the easier this will be for everyone to get through.

So, let's kick it off!

• Crafting like crochet, knitting, sewing, felting, painting, rug making, etc.

• Getting out into the garden. The weeds won’t stand a chance.

• Plant some seeds and watch them grow into food for you/the family. Depending on what seeds you plant, this could be a short or a long activity.
  • Jigsaw puzzles. Once done with the ones you've got, do a no contact swap with someone else so you've got more to keep you busy.

• Practice your musical instrument. Amazon probably have some new books for you to learn some new tunes from!

• Sing along a YouTube to entertain yourself, and the neighbours!

• Write a memoir of your life.

• Write a poem, short story, novel, etc. Whatever is in your head.
  • With the kids, why not start a family newpaper? You could write it, draw it, and stick it all together. Do one a week, one a day, whatever suits.
  • Finish/start a memory book for the children/family.

• Finish/start the admin you've been putting off - death or otherwise.

• Keep a diary, embellished or actual.

• Get that spring cleaning done. Great time for emptying out all those cupboards all over the house to give them a scrub and bin anything that's no longer needed!

• Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc

• Video chat with friends and family all over the world - an app called Houseparty works quite well apparently.

• Send letters/cards to nursing homes who are currently allowed no visitors.

• Phone friends and family, especially those who are isolated home alone with no family for company.

• Teach yourself or brush up on those DIY skills! Amazon can deliver just about anything to you, so why not try making something for the house, or repairing whatever it is that's been bugging you and you never thought you had time to do before!

• Brush up on those baking skills. See how creative you can be with what's in your cupboards like your very own ready steady cook! Get the kids involved too, because cooking and baking are brilliant skills to have! Do let us know what the weirdest ingredient is you manage to use - that long forgotten tin or jar in the back of the cupboard that you find something amazing to make with it!

• Get a pet. You being stuck home will give you a taste of how they feel in the shelter. If you've space in your home, and the time to dedicate to a wee beastie even after quarantine, then why not make enquiries? Even with quarantine, you're still allowed to go for walks in the fresh air, just keep 6 feet between you and the next person.

• Exercise! Plenty of routines on all number of apps and youtube! Why not have a nose and an explore, see if there's something that appeals to you, or at least gives you a giggle when you try it!

• Learn a new language! There are free apps like Duolingo that you can try, or if you have a few pennies then there are plenty of courses to pay for too!

• That book you've not finished/picked up yet because you're often too tired or too busy? Perfect time to get stuck in and see what happens next!
  • Put up some bird feeders in the garden where you can see them. Some of the antics of the birds, squirrels, and who knows what that might visit are sometimes better than the TV!
  • Have a couple of duvet days and just chill out. Can't feel guilty when you're not supposed to be anywhere else!
  • The charity called Shine - for patients 20 - 49 - are holding an online book club for people to join in with.
  • Lots of theatres and performers are putting their stuff online so you can still 'see a show/concert', just from your house.
  • Independent cafes and restaurants are really going to be struggling at the moment, so why not buy yourself a voucher as something to look forward to after this is all done and dusted? Alternatively, some of them are starting to offer takeaway where they usually wouldn't. So have a look online at your local restaurants, and even butchers/bakers/fishmongers/etc, to see who is offering delivery, then try and support them where you can to help them through this time!
  • Have a pamper session! Get in some nice creams and potions for your skin, nails, hair, whatever you've got that needs a bit of TLC and do yourself a spa day or two! Guys you can do it too and no need to be shy, because you're isolated - so no one will be a twat and judge you! Your skin needs love too!
  • Write a blog
  • For those with children, this has kept us quite busy today. If you type an animals name into Google (on an iPhone or Android) and then press ‘View in 3D’. It brings up your camera and then 30 seconds later you have a tiger in your house! You can take a photo of the kids with them and they can walk around it.
  • You Tube videos - watch them or make them. Cute animal ones are often fun!
  • Send a loved one a free biscuit
  • The Turn of the Screw

• The Ring Cycle

• 1984, the ballet

• Dracula - Northern Ballet has proved that it can tell any story through dance, but Dracula is particularly well-suited to adaptation. Bram Stoker’s haunting tale of an ancient vampire at large in 19th Century England is full of seduction, temptation and obsession. Dracula will be released on BBC iPlayer in the coming weeks as part of BBC’s Culture in Quarantine Season. 

• Panda Cam

• Night of the Living Dead Remix, and Oh The Night

• Project Intimacy

• Free courses to teach yourself something new from Open Learn
  • Free kids books if you have an e-reader
  • A list of more things to do, including online museum tours! Too many things to list, but do click and have a browse!
  • Photography projects for around the home and garden
  • PE routines!
  • Free films
  • 2 free tomb raider games to play!
  • Play boardgames with your friends, online!
  • Free audible catalogue
  • London theatre shows to watch online
  • Broadway Shows  - 7 day free trial
  • Free audio Children's Stories
  • Marquee TV. Watch Ballet, plays, etc - 30 day free trial. 
  • A play is broadcast every night for free
  • Free Musicals and Plays to watch online
  • Wind in the Willows the musical from the West End!

• 30 day lego build challenge
  • NTL will show a play every Thursday
  • Oklahoma with Hugh Jackman

• Reserved

I'll update this first post as more suggestions are added, that way folks don't need to scroll through the whole thread to find things! 

So..... Whatcha got?

Lass

Xx

• Just a heads up, Jesus Christ Superstar will be broadcast at 7pm tonight on YouTube, and will - I believe - then be available for 48 hours. Last week was Joseph, can't wait to see what next week will be! 

Oh, and Jane Eyre was broadcast last night, the play, and will be available for..... 2 weeks I think it is. One Man 2 Guvnors was last week and should still be available. 

Enjoy! I know I will! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi Lass, thanks for that. I think I will watch it.

I have got pleurisy at the moment and had to have a phone consultation with the doctor today, feeling really rubbish right now and in some pain. Watching that will be perfect.

love and hugs

Maggie xx

• Hi ( ) Maggie, Sorry to hear you have pleurisy, I hope your GP managed to help and give you something for the pain! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi

I watched One Man, Two Guvnors with my daughter. It was hilarious. I think NT are broadcasting a play a week and this week it’s Treasure Island but I could be wrong. 

xx

• Hi Maggie,

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well so I hope that you improve quickly.  Consulting with doctors over the phone is a bit strange isn't it.  I've had to do it twice for myself since we went into lockdown and my wife had to do it for her mother.  It is hard enough describing symptoms when you can point at the body part that is troubling you or act out what happened but trying to do it all in words is a bit different.

All the best,

Gragon xx

• Hi Maggie ()  I've been thinking about you and wondered how you are feeling now? Have they managed to sort out the pleurisy?    Just hope things are improving for you!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Maggie  

How’s it going? I do hope you are recovering from the pleurisy now. 

Lots of love xxx

• Hey Maggie,

Hope you enjoyed the show and are feeling a bit better now!

Just a head's up for everyone. The NTL play tonight is Treasure island. Then the musical on Friday night is Phantom of the Opera. However, PLEASE NOTE, Phantom will only be available for 24 hours, not 48 like the last two. So please don't get caught out if you're wanting to watch it!

Enjoy!

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi all and thank you. I am feeling a little better now. Still in pain but brighter in myself. I dodged a bullet there as the Doctor told me I might have to go into hospital for iv antibiotics. I didn’t thankfully. I have done very little except rest. I did put a load of washing through the machine but stretching to hang on the line outside was just too much for me. It just got hung on the airer inside and I sat down again! 
    Thanks Lass, I have a friend who was due to go and see the Phantom of the opera until the virus struck and it was cancelled I shall tell her. I will enjoy watching that myself.

Well just to make a few chuckle! A new postman has been doing our round sometimes and I have a ring doorbell which videos who has passed my door. Well when I have looked on it a few times I have seen this postman relieving himself up next doors back gate. He delivered the post today. I opened the door to see if he was still there and yes he was coming back from the gate. I just said to him that I had seen him and to be aware there are cameras everywhere, boy did he look shocked! I don’t think he will do it there again and suspect he will be checking for cameras when he feels the need again!

stay in and stay safe everyone 

love and hugs

Maggie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Alive

Hi Maggie 

it’s so good to hear you’re feeling better. What a relief not to have had to go into hospital. 

As for the cheekie postie, well really! I have wondered what they’d do if they were caught short on their rounds. Now I know! 

Lots of love 

xx