Things to do while self isolating, adults and kids!

• 48 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Figured I'd start a thread and compile a list of things people are doing, or have found to do, while self-isolating. I figure that the more ideas and options there are in one place, the easier this will be for everyone to get through.

So, let's kick it off!

• Crafting like crochet, knitting, sewing, felting, painting, rug making, etc.

• Getting out into the garden. The weeds won’t stand a chance.

• Plant some seeds and watch them grow into food for you/the family. Depending on what seeds you plant, this could be a short or a long activity.
  • Jigsaw puzzles. Once done with the ones you've got, do a no contact swap with someone else so you've got more to keep you busy.

• Practice your musical instrument. Amazon probably have some new books for you to learn some new tunes from!

• Sing along a YouTube to entertain yourself, and the neighbours!

• Write a memoir of your life.

• Write a poem, short story, novel, etc. Whatever is in your head.
  • With the kids, why not start a family newpaper? You could write it, draw it, and stick it all together. Do one a week, one a day, whatever suits.
  • Finish/start a memory book for the children/family.

• Finish/start the admin you've been putting off - death or otherwise.

• Keep a diary, embellished or actual.

• Get that spring cleaning done. Great time for emptying out all those cupboards all over the house to give them a scrub and bin anything that's no longer needed!

• Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc

• Video chat with friends and family all over the world - an app called Houseparty works quite well apparently.

• Send letters/cards to nursing homes who are currently allowed no visitors.

• Phone friends and family, especially those who are isolated home alone with no family for company.

• Teach yourself or brush up on those DIY skills! Amazon can deliver just about anything to you, so why not try making something for the house, or repairing whatever it is that's been bugging you and you never thought you had time to do before!

• Brush up on those baking skills. See how creative you can be with what's in your cupboards like your very own ready steady cook! Get the kids involved too, because cooking and baking are brilliant skills to have! Do let us know what the weirdest ingredient is you manage to use - that long forgotten tin or jar in the back of the cupboard that you find something amazing to make with it!

• Get a pet. You being stuck home will give you a taste of how they feel in the shelter. If you've space in your home, and the time to dedicate to a wee beastie even after quarantine, then why not make enquiries? Even with quarantine, you're still allowed to go for walks in the fresh air, just keep 6 feet between you and the next person.

• Exercise! Plenty of routines on all number of apps and youtube! Why not have a nose and an explore, see if there's something that appeals to you, or at least gives you a giggle when you try it!

• Learn a new language! There are free apps like Duolingo that you can try, or if you have a few pennies then there are plenty of courses to pay for too!

• That book you've not finished/picked up yet because you're often too tired or too busy? Perfect time to get stuck in and see what happens next!
  • Put up some bird feeders in the garden where you can see them. Some of the antics of the birds, squirrels, and who knows what that might visit are sometimes better than the TV!
  • Have a couple of duvet days and just chill out. Can't feel guilty when you're not supposed to be anywhere else!
  • The charity called Shine - for patients 20 - 49 - are holding an online book club for people to join in with.
  • Lots of theatres and performers are putting their stuff online so you can still 'see a show/concert', just from your house.
  • Independent cafes and restaurants are really going to be struggling at the moment, so why not buy yourself a voucher as something to look forward to after this is all done and dusted? Alternatively, some of them are starting to offer takeaway where they usually wouldn't. So have a look online at your local restaurants, and even butchers/bakers/fishmongers/etc, to see who is offering delivery, then try and support them where you can to help them through this time!
  • Have a pamper session! Get in some nice creams and potions for your skin, nails, hair, whatever you've got that needs a bit of TLC and do yourself a spa day or two! Guys you can do it too and no need to be shy, because you're isolated - so no one will be a twat and judge you! Your skin needs love too!
  • Write a blog
  • For those with children, this has kept us quite busy today. If you type an animals name into Google (on an iPhone or Android) and then press ‘View in 3D’. It brings up your camera and then 30 seconds later you have a tiger in your house! You can take a photo of the kids with them and they can walk around it.
  • You Tube videos - watch them or make them. Cute animal ones are often fun!
  • Send a loved one a free biscuit
  • The Turn of the Screw

• The Ring Cycle

• 1984, the ballet

• Dracula - Northern Ballet has proved that it can tell any story through dance, but Dracula is particularly well-suited to adaptation. Bram Stoker’s haunting tale of an ancient vampire at large in 19th Century England is full of seduction, temptation and obsession. Dracula will be released on BBC iPlayer in the coming weeks as part of BBC’s Culture in Quarantine Season. 

• Panda Cam

• Night of the Living Dead Remix, and Oh The Night

• Project Intimacy

• Free courses to teach yourself something new from Open Learn
  • Free kids books if you have an e-reader
  • A list of more things to do, including online museum tours! Too many things to list, but do click and have a browse!
  • Photography projects for around the home and garden
  • PE routines!
  • Free films
  • 2 free tomb raider games to play!
  • Play boardgames with your friends, online!
  • Free audible catalogue
  • London theatre shows to watch online
  • Broadway Shows  - 7 day free trial
  • Free audio Children's Stories
  • Marquee TV. Watch Ballet, plays, etc - 30 day free trial. 
  • A play is broadcast every night for free
  • Free Musicals and Plays to watch online
  • Wind in the Willows the musical from the West End!

• 30 day lego build challenge
  • NTL will show a play every Thursday
  • Oklahoma with Hugh Jackman

• Reserved

I'll update this first post as more suggestions are added, that way folks don't need to scroll through the whole thread to find things! 

So..... Whatcha got?

Lass

Xx

• Heya, 

Just to say I've updated this with things I've found and suggestions made! 

Hope you find some things to enjoy, especially as this looks like it might be going on for 12 months to different degrees 

Stay healthy! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi All,

So far I've spent my time digging three big holes down the garden as there are four of us in the house at the moment (mother in law is here as well) and I'm sure that not all of us will survive.  Only co-incidentally to do with coronavirus but after 12 weeks of self isolating in a house with three others I may well be jumping in one of the holes myself and pulling the soil in on top of me!

On a much more positive note I was sent this link today click here  in the local U3A newsletter.  It has lots of online resources that people might find interesting.  It looks really good and I'm certainly going to have a look at a few.

I hope that every one is coping well.

All the best,

Gragon xx

Added edit.

Hi All,

I've just had a look at the list in more detail and I must say I am impressed.  One of the sites is a link to Audible which is currently free for children so long as the schools are closed.  As well as children's books it includes several classics so looks really good.  There are several learning resources including languages, free streaming of concerts, virtual tours of art galleries and museums and lots more.  It is really worth looking at and clicking on a few of the links.

Gragon xx

• Hey Gragon, 

Hope you're not too tired after all of that digging! Lol

If you have a look above, the chatterpack link is already listed in the first post, as is the audible book link separately. It's not pretty as it's easier to use my phone than my computer, but I can tidy it up with hyperlinks if people think that would make it easier to use? 

I'm continually updating the first post as I find things, and I've added three new links today. The one I just put up has links to operas, musicals, and plays that you can watch online if you wanted a touch of culture!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Tidied this up and added a few more things to the list that I've found.

Hope you all find something of interest!

Lass

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi 

We had safe and socially distanced fun down my road on Sunday. It’s a small cul de sac of houses built in 1952 by the council. One of my neighbours invited us all to go to the top of our front gardens at 11.30am for a game, primarily for the kids. He set up a table in the middle of the street and from there shouted instructions for a scavenger hunt. We raced into our own houses, trying to be the first back with different items such as a jug of water, a black glove or a scooter. He awarded points and a prize for the winner. It was very funny. 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

what a wonderful idea - bet the kids loved it (no matter what their age!).  Just the picture it painted in my mind made me smile - thank you

Debs

• @daloni I dont know if it's right but I just got an alert to delete the house party app as it was responsible for hacking bank accounts etc.

Stay safe everybody 

• For those with children, this has kept us quite busy today. If you type an animals name into Google (on an iPhone or Android) and then press ‘View in 3D’. It brings up your camera and then 30 seconds later you have a tiger in your house! You can take a photo of the kids with them and they can walk around it.

Lass

Xx

• Hi ,

Please click on the link to see this article on the BBC website.  here   Houseparty are offering a reward saying that they believe they were the victims of a smear campaign.  They deny any problem with the site.  The article does describe some issues with "gatecrashers"

Wishing you all the best.

Gragon xx

• Working on a family tree - warning. It's very addictive. Both Find my Past and Ancestry are offering two week free trials at the minute.

I've been a member of Ancestry for years so now's the time for me to work on some of my "brick walls".  My can't-remember-how-many-times-great-grandma deserves to be known as more than just "Widow Linnane". 

Be warned though, it's very addictive and can be quite sad.  My great grandmother  - who died before I was born - had something like 11 children with only five living. (Although I can't help but giggle when I see she had twins in 1922 and called them Ronald and Donald!) I've found a  cousin  of my grandma - he died in my lifetime - nobody knew he existed. He was born in 1902 to a single mother and sadly died in an asylum. Nobody knew he existed. 

It's really interesting and a great way of teaching kids (if you have any of the right age) a bit of interactive history. One lady I know wrote out her family tree and then they set to work collecting coins of the year of birth for everyone and sticking them on the chart.  

I look at my chart and the people who were around in WWII - queuing for food, struggling with shortages, worrying about loved ones and so on and I see a parallel to today. When I moan to myself about only having 6 eggs, I think of my great grandmother Lily who would no doubt have LOVED to have six eggs to feed her five children.  It puts things into perspective for me.