New to group

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 35 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi, please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Alan I have terminal oesophagus cancer with secondary liver, I only found out last night at 5ish when my Macmillan nurse phoned to say she had attended the consultants meeting following my pet-CT scan and she was phoning me with bad news, the tumour is large and surrounded by large lymph nodes that are not treatable she said I may be able to try chemotherapy if my body can take it and that may extend my life to 12 months, I sat here alone, I live alone I had cold sweats and shakes I was looking for support, I am completely devastated I was only diagnosed 5th December.

How fast life can change, I welcome any advice.

Alan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Alan, I’m glad to hear you have ended your day on a positive note. I look forward to hearing how you get on at the hospice. If I’ve said anything that has comforted you in any small way, I consider it a privilege.

• FormerMember

Hi johnty, please give yourself a pat on the back , and accept my sincere thanks.

My day started with reading your post to me whilst I was laying in bed wondering what the hell is today going to bring !! More stress, then your post put me in the right frame of mind with good advice and the day got better and better, for the first time in weeks I am relaxed, confident I can cope and looking forward to a good night's sleep.

Kind regards

Alan

• FormerMember

Hi All

I think this conversation is one of the most beautiful, wonderful, awe inspiring things I’ve ever read. 

Alan, , I take my hat off to you for your ability to ask for help, listen carefully, sift through what’s been said and take on board what’s right for you. I wish you many happy days with your beloved pets 

My love to you all 

xxx

• FormerMember

Thank you daloni, 

What you have been so kind to say has rounded off the first good day I have had for a month, I am now in bed, and for the first time in weeks actually think I will sleep peacefully.

Good night my friends and thank you to all of you, I have only been a member for a short while, you have certainly done me some good in that time, I honestly do not think I would have coped without the good advice given to me your guidance to a newbie to cancer and the group - I will end there, you know what it means to me.

Alan ( chuddy )

• FormerMember

Hello and welcome Alan

When I was first diagnosed the first thing I did was arrange long term homes for my animals. That small step helped immensely. I still am in contact with my horse and my cat is still with me, but gets fed when I'm at hospice/hospital by my neighbour who will take her on when I can no longer look after her. It really helped me to get all the 'paperwork and affairs' in order.

It was just over a year later of diagnosis I was told it had spread and was now incurable. They asked if I wanted to be put in touch with the hospice. Whilst hesitant, I said yes and that again was a very good decision. I found I didn't really 'fit' anywhere for various reasons and was very isolated. 

I really clicked with my hospice nurse and they have been able to suggest and offer me various practical or supportive things. I trust them and feel much comfortable. So it's good to hear your's are taking you under their wing too. Mine offerers councilling too, might be worth asking about too.

Glad you found us and hope it brings some comfort.